Inauspicious Beginnings: 1961 Schwinn American.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Original Bendix rear hub is apart and clean, awaiting arrival of properly sized tires. Fenders beckon my gentle paint prep.
Frame.... Can't get the G@&°¡[`¿^] crank apart! I can't even get the pedals off! Everything's been soaking in break free for days! I'm going to degrease with carb cleaner and try P.B. Spray next. I tried gently heating with a propane torch at one point, to no avail. I've tried a pipe over the wrench and gentle beatings (lol), nada!

A most empathetic, HELP

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A Park brand pedal wrench #PW3 has served me well for years but sometimes they're like welded it and nothing breaks them loose. Don't sacrifice the frame trying too hard. There's lots of Schwinn pedal cranks available just like yours. Cut it off at the left nut and use a socket. Saves a lot of grief and time trying to save something easily replaced. Just a suggestion because I've done it before.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I have a grinder, and cut-off wheels. I just wanted to know how the pros would do it. After all the bike is all original, the better and the worse. I'll take a. FUBARed cank, the Bendix Redline is museum quality under the grease. I've always been a proponent of coaster breaks.

Let the controversy begin! Look for the thread.

Keep your eyes on this thread to see what becomes of "The Troll"!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Corrosion can do some awful things. Use a torch if you're really set on keeping it original. And heat it up a lot. A LOT. Lightly heating it won't cut it if it's seized on bad enough. I've had tonget some bolts red/orange hot before they begin to turn.

But I would replace the crank and never speak of it. Who's going to know, aside from you?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That same crank is probably common to other Schwinn middle weights. No one will know or care if it is original. I've had a couple of 63 American deluxe models and the hybrid trike I'm building is a ladies version. Well made bikes with good components. I'm also a fan of the Bendix coaster brake. Keep it greased and it will go forever. You'll want a front brake, even if just caliper. Schwinn made an add on adapter for that fork and they sometimes come up on ebay. Good luck with your build.
SB

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Thanks SB I'll certainly need all the luck I can get, lol. Still have some tuning to do on the "Tanglebones" project before the wife will let me dig in to this in ernest. Or at least put money out...for that reason I'll likely just heat it more as I was planning, just have to get a better torch and this bike to meet in person.

We'll see how things go...