clutch shaft bearing "is it important ?"

GoldenMotor.com

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Hey guys, I was messn around with the clutch adjustment and noticed a ball bearing on the floor. At first it looked like a bee bee for an air gun.. The exploded parts page really sucks from the manufacture.
After looking at some after market stuff I noticed some of the clutch shafts come with this number 8 bearing.. Question! do I really need it or should I replace the lost one..with sumpn from napa...Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Flounder,
If you had the clutch actuator cover, left side of engine, off then that bearing is probably the one that goes in the center hole in the drive sprocket. There is a steel pin also. The bearing goes in first then the pin. Both of those parts should have enough grease on them to keep them from falling out easily. If they are dry, lube them and the actuator cam inside the cover before reassembling.
Tom

Last edited:

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
I believe that where it came from... It was kinda dry in there when i pulled it off. I cant find the bearing now .. Theres plenty of grease in there now the new one should hold..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It doesn't have to be the exact size as the original. Look for a ball bearing 5/16" in diameter. That will get you back on the road.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Don't use one too small, that will play h ell with the other end of the release shaft that is inside the hollow shaft, the portion that connects to the flower nut on the clutch.
5/16" is a good size because it fits up in there with a teeny bit of clearance all around it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I punched out and replaced my clutch shaft bearing only after experiencing big problems. It was impossible to keep the clutch adjusted and the chain was rubbing against the drive sprocket cover.
If your shaft bearing is bad, you will be able to wiggle the drive sprocket a bit.
I hope the bearing that fell out of your bike was only the actuator ball in the end of the clutch shaft. It's much easier to replace.