Nitrus Oxide or no? + throttle cable fix?

GoldenMotor.com

kzbesner

Jul 26, 2010
Ottawa Ontario
well, i have an old beater 2 stroke thats could die any day now, soo i was thinking why not i get a fun little kick out of it before its run into the ground.

my question is, is the Nos kits for these engines worth it at all?

also, i had an unfortunate event happen with my engine as well, the throttle cable broke (the small clamped or sodered end fell off at the carb), and i am just woundering if theres any cheap fix to this? or do i have to order a new cable from the US?

btw, i live in ottawa :p

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you have a few simple tools?, you can solder a new tip onto the cable yourself.
If not?, you can have a motorcycle shop put a new tip on for you... or you can just buy a new cable. :rolleyes: :D

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well kzbesner, when you say "about to die any day now" that should be a pretty good indicator of the engines over all condition.
A NO2 kit will only blow a tired motor up.
I've experimented with NO2 kits over the years, and ive found they can be used with success IF you remember to add extra fuel as well.
These engines are rebuild able, might I suggest you buy a quality rebuild kit for that engine and also buy a new engine only.
The rebuild could be your NO2 engine and the new one can be your spare should anything go wrong.
Also, there is a safety issue... these thing can and do explode... NO2 will only hasten that possibility with possible catastrophic results , not only to the engine but to you as well.
Throttle cables are inexpensive, get a new one.
If you insist on saving the old one, I use a method for shortening my throtle cable to the length I want.
If its a stainless steel cable you will need a few things to repair it.
A propane torch,
Real silver solder,
Quality soldering flux,
and a fine grind stone or files.
#1- Unscrew or unbolt the top of the carburetor.
#2- PAY attention to the arrangement of the cable noodle("J" tube) spring and the brass carb slide.
#3- Remove the slide and spring and noodle from the cable and put them someplace safe so you wont loose them.
#4- If you have any slack in the cable housing, now is the time to measure and cut it to the proper length.
#5- Once you have the housing cut to length, examine the cable, is it still in good shape? if so your golden.
measure the cable its self, be sure to leave yourself a few inches of slack, you don't want the cable to short.
#6- I use a good quality cable cutter as a good clean cut is mandatory for this to work properly, be careful as not to let the cable unravel.
I slip a cable end ferule on to the end of the cable first, then the noodle, then the slide, you should have about 1" to 1 1/2 inches of cable showing.
#7- now for the tricky part, dip the end of the cable in the soldering flux, have the torch and solder ready, GENTLY heat the end of the cable and quickly applie solder to the very end as to build up a nice fat bead of solder, only silver solder will stick to a stainless steel cable, DO NOT over heat the cable! now you should have a nice fat bead on the end of the cable ready to shape.
#8- I use my bench vise for this next part, let the cable end fully cool, I gently clamp the end in the vise with just the new bead of solder showing, then very carefully I file the bead down to fit neatly in the slide, this might take a little time, go slow here keep checking the slides fit until your satisfied.
#9- Now reinstall the spring, this is your only throttle return spring, I like to use a slightly stronger spring to assure the throttle snaps shut when you roll off the throttle, slip the spring back on to the cable between the
slide and new cable end bead. and re assemble the top of the carb. TEST it first! work the throttle several times BEFORE trying to ride.
This is a good method to keep your cables the right length and looking clean.
Good luck.
BBB

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should remember that soldering requires an absolutely clean surface. If there is any oil, grease, rust, or anything except clean metal the solder will just bead up and roll off. Clean the cable well before trying to solder. Brake cleaner or any good oil cutting solvent that doesn't leave a residue should work.
I like to use a 1/4" piece of brass tubing, 1/16" inside diameter, for the end instead of relying on just solder...but that's just me.
Tom

kzbesner

Jul 26, 2010
Ottawa Ontario
i think i will actually either make due with the engine i have and possibly rebuild it.
as for no2, im convinced that it will do no good for me :p

now, the throttle cabe came apart a while ago, and i had remembered back then how the carburator went together, but now, im a bit rusty.
is there any photos of how i put the throttle back together?
i have a 2-stroke 49cc

thank you

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
You should remember that soldering requires an absolutely clean surface. If there is any oil, grease, rust, or anything except clean metal the solder will just bead up and roll off. Clean the cable well before trying to solder. Brake cleaner or any good oil cutting solvent that doesn't leave a residue should work.
I like to use a 1/4" piece of brass tubing, 1/16" inside diameter, for the end instead of relying on just solder...but that's just me.
Tom
To right 2Door, my bad... its just that I always clean every thing as a matter of course... I kinda forget I do it.
I like the 1/16" brass tubing + the solder idea, less filing needed. Im gonna use it next time.
Thats why we have a forum, so old goats like us wouldn't forget there heads if they weren't attached at the neck.

I saw a Nitrosized, 2 stroke, 50cc 1980s Honda MB5 custom as a pit bike at Atco Raceway WAAAAAY back when... the bike was a holy terror, It ran the quarter in 13.9 seconds @ 83MPH! with a 105lb chick piloting!
(about the same as 500cc 4 stroke singles of the day!)
The guy hand built its injection system, with hand made jets, custom hard lines, solenoid valves, electric fuel enrichment pump and a 2 pound NO2 bottle, it was really a work of art, I wish I had picks of it.

In the end, as we all know, there is no substitute for cubic inches, compression, a free breathing intake and exhaust system that was built from the get go to belong together.
The rest are just band aides for not doing it right in the first place.
RIDE FREE
BBB
usflg

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
No the nos kit is not worth it in my opinion . Because they just tear these motors up. I would say save your money not worth it. Get a tuned pipe. That will be better money spent:)

Here are links to This subject if ya want to read up on it tho..
nos kit - Google Search