How to separate/disassemble clutch wheel

GoldenMotor.com

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
How do I separate/disassemble this clutch wheel?

My bevel wheel has major slop/play and I want to take it apart to rebuild it with new parts. I notice lot of online retailers sell individual parts for the clutch wheel (ie. big clutch bevel wheel, clutch base plate, bearings, etc). But I have no clue how I would separate the clutch base and bevel wheel.

Would there be anyway I can tighten up the wheel so it doesn't have so much slop?

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I've never found a simple way. It seems pressed together and very difficult to separate, I always see the clutch/gear sold as a unit. Mine also has a lot of slop in it, but it's never been an issue.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've heard of people taking them apart. I have (I think) seen that the parts could be bought separately. I have never had to take one apart, it's not easy. Best of my relocation there are something like 57 3mm bearings in it. They are pressed together thus no adjustment.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I had a clutch that seemed to be pressed unevenly, one side of the ring that holds the unit together was visibly higher than the other causing lots of slop. The slop allowed the big gear to slip off true and bind. I tried to come up with an easy way to press it together evenly, it's an awkward kind of deal and I never did come up with a good rig to press it. I had asked here for advice on how to press the unit together and didn't get any good answers, so out of frustration I tapped the ring with a hammer lightly around the high side and got it back together evenly and tight. It was kinda easy to do, I couldn't help thinking to myself "why the **** did I think about that so long". I guess I was just nervous about tapping it with a hammer.
If your unit is pressed loosely and has lots of slop you can lean the big gear out enough to inspect the bearings. If the bearings look good you might try removing the clutch pads, cleaning the whole clutch plate and bearings and tap the ring on tightly and evenly with a hammer and see how she rolls. I put a small amount of grease on the bearings, I'm not sure if you are supposed to do that or not, it would seem bearings need grease, but the way this unit is designed there is nothing really to hold the grease in place, and you dont want grease to get out onto the friction plate, so use very sparingly if you do. This is just my experience with the clutch plate, I don't know if there is a more "proper" procedure to press this unit, but what I did worked out for me....

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
I had a clutch that seemed to be pressed unevenly, one side of the ring that holds the unit together was visibly higher than the other causing lots of slop. The slop allowed the big gear to slip off true and bind. I tried to come up with an easy way to press it together evenly, it's an awkward kind of deal and I never did come up with a good rig to press it. I had asked here for advice on how to press the unit together and didn't get any good answers, so out of frustration I tapped the ring with a hammer lightly around the high side and got it back together evenly and tight. It was kinda easy to do, I couldn't help thinking to myself "why the **** did I think about that so long". I guess I was just nervous about tapping it with a hammer.
If your unit is pressed loosely and has lots of slop you can lean the big gear out enough to inspect the bearings. If the bearings look good you might try removing the clutch pads, cleaning the whole clutch plate and bearings and tap the ring on tightly and evenly with a hammer and see how she rolls. I put a small amount of grease on the bearings, I'm not sure if you are supposed to do that or not, it would seem bearings need grease, but the way this unit is designed there is nothing really to hold the grease in place, and you dont want grease to get out onto the friction plate, so use very sparingly if you do. This is just my experience with the clutch plate, I don't know if there is a more "proper" procedure to press this unit, but what I did worked out for me....
Which part of the ring do you hammer exactly? have a picture you can show the area to hammer? Thanks.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The area between the two red lines is the ring I am referring to. It is pressed down on the clutch plate over the bearings and holds the whole assembly together. I also included a picture of the clutch plate without the ring pressed on it so you can get a better idea how the assembly is put together....

Attachments