First Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
Hey all,
I decided to build a MB and had been lurking on here the last few weeks for tips which way to go. When I saw the way the rear sprocket that comes in the motor kits clamped onto the spokes, I became concerned with it's durability and was about to give up on the idea of building a MB until I saw the $60 Manic Mechanic hub adapter and sprocket.
I noticed on the Manic web site there was a Schwinn Jaguar with the hub adapter. So this past Monday, I ordered a new RAW 66cc kit for $190 and started looking on Craigslist for a used Schwinn Jaguar or Landmark. Today I found a Jaguar for $80, everything was good on it. I got it home and went to measure the rear hub so I could order the MM hub adapter, only to see the bike had a concave shaped Quando hub. Dang it! Schwinn must have changed hub vendors on some of the Jags!
So my question is, what reasonable priced hub will swap out with the Quando so I don't have to by new spokes? Spoke hole circle is about 1.75", spoke flanges are about 2.125" wide and overall width is about 5.25".
Do I have any other options besides a new hub? I thought about a SBP shift kit but I'm already into this project for $270 and don't want to throw another $240 at it.

Dr. Dognuts

Apr 10, 2011
Down Under, adl
Just fit the rag washer kit, keep it simple. That way you can still ride while you look for another wheel that suits the adapter, or you may decide that the rag washer setup is fine.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I guess you're talking coaster brake here- good luck

I searched ebay and found some new asian stuff listed in freewheel hubs- nothing fancy- steel hubs, but not a lot of money, and grooved so that a sprocket would fit over them- they'd still have to be secured with a rag joint-

but then you could fit handbrakes

Metal 36 Spoke Holes Back Rear Hub for Bicycle Bike | eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joytech-Rear-Bi...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483e07b447

this second one is the kind that came on my Micargi multi-speed cruiser- the ridge stops the motor sprock a perfect distance from the spokes- the diameters on both these hubs is the usual motor sprock diameter-

I still look for a large flange flip/flop with smooth alloy sides undrilled so that I can drill them for sprocks with the 6 inner disk brake style holes and bolt that directly to the hub- hard to find but out there.

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
My hub has the shape of the one on the top right of this page.
I need one for a 7 spd cassette shaped like of one of the ones on the left. I hope to find one that will lace up without having to buy new spokes.

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
I posted a reply a few hours ago, don't know why it didn't show.
The bike has a 7 gear cassette. Apparently Schwinn used two different hubs on the Jaguars, Quando and Modus. The Quando, which I have, has a concave shape that I can't use. I think the Modus has straight sides which I need.
Mine looks like the one on the top right of this page. I need one like on the left side.

There's a girls Schwinn Jaguar 7spd that's for sale. If it had a Modus hub, I'd buy it, rob the wheel off it and keep the rest for parts. The seller has several MB ads on Craigslist so I think he puts them together. So I call, here's how it goes;
Q: What kind of hub is on the girls Jaguar you have for sale?
A: It's a 7 speed.
Q: Yes, I see in your ad it's a 7spd, what kind of hub is it?
A: The rims are aluminum.
Q: But what kind of hub is it?
A: It had 7speeds.
Q: Yes, 7 speeds, but what kind of hub?
A: I don't know what you mean by hub.
Q: The thing the spokes attach to and the axle goes thru, is there a brand name on it?
A: It's the standard original hub.
Q: Can you look at the hub and tell me what name is stamped on it?
A: If you want to know, come and buy it.
I wonder if this dude builds the MBs he sells any better than he answers questions.