View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Got engine yesterday, riding today

Originally Posted by scottmanesis View Post
I don't know why, but to me spending that much on a frame to still ride with the weak link on these kits seems a little backwards. I would rather personally ride a 50 dollar bike with upgraded rear sprocket attachment than a 2 thousand dollar bike with that junky rag joint that comes in the kits.

Granted I dont have much motorized bicycle experience to go on but I have ridden enough motorcycles and bicycles both to know I don't want my power plant to be strapped to one side of some spokes on a wheel.....just does not sound safe AT ALL! It could just be me as some seem to have no problems with it, but my butt would not even consider riding it set up like that. In fact I would buy the HD rear wheel kit from spooky or another vendor before I even put gas in it. I like the skin on my body, especially my face and when rear wheels taco it really stinks.
a high quality bike a more solid investment imo. solid frame to prevent cracks in the frame and welds from vibrations, high quality rims and spokes means that doing 30mph n hitting a pot hole is not a bike shattering event, and the rag joint sprocket will not be ripping my spokes out since the spokes and flange are heavy duty. most spokes and flanges a rag joint puts too much stress on, therefore you need one of those custom sprockets. mine will hold up just fine even with the force being directly applied to the spokes.

the main reason i want the custom sprocket is i don't think i would have to take apart my rear wheel and grind down the dust cap to make the kit sprocket fit. i'm not at all worried about the wheel being able to take the abuse though, because i invested in quality.

moving 1 part over in 6 months is a lot easier then moving an entire kit over in 3 months because your bike was weaker then the average weak bike and couldn't handle your motor. right?