View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Pittsburgh Stolen Schwinn Collegiate (recovered!) - Help from Pee-wee Herman

Well, the guy was riding it non stop all around town. He brought it to a local bar, was hanging out there, and some people from some local message boards spotted the bike. They called the cops, the cops came and questioned the guy. The guy of course said he bought it from someone. But for whatever reason my report hadn't yet made it to this particular department. But another reported stolen motorbike had. Apparently they called in the other motorbike owner, who said this wasn't his bike. But the cops still suspected this was a stolen bike, and told my friend to tell me to get in touch with the police.

The cop new where the guy lived, and it was just a matter of him catching the guy when he was at home. Which he did after a week, and the guy surrendered the bike willingly. But there really is no way to charge the guy. The only thing they can get is receiving stolen property, but even that is extremely difficult to prove.

I do think the cop went out of his way for me. I was very lucky.

I'm still not sure how bad off the motor is now? I just haven't been able to work on it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to empty all the fuel. Switchover to Sportscarpat's tank with fresh fuel and hope for the best. If the motor's dead its dead, so might as well try firing it up with the fuel right. I don't think the piston is seized.

He really did a number on the chain tensioner though, and roughed up the chainstay. The chain had zero clearance and was rubbing on the chainstay, and he must have battled with moving the tensioner as the metal is dented. Looks like he had the rear wheel off because the lock nut in the back is now facing the wrong way.

I'll stop complaining, I'm damn lucky. Just gotta pick up the pieces and keep rocking. Maybe an SBP expansion chamber will pretty up the old girl. Also spooky tooth has these new pineapple things to replace the rear rag joint for a truer drive sprocket.