Thread: Fire
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Fire

Aaniimoosh and I got up at dawn to survey the wreckage after a restless and soul searching night. As she watched me looking things over, on some level the dog understands that things are terribly wrong and we sure aren't going anywhere in that truck. I picked through things some, like what people must do after a flood or a tornado. Or a house fire. Looking for what can be kept and making a kind of mental list of what's gone for good. I'd forgotten that the Viking sewing machine I use for making moccasins and mukluks was in there, now wrecked. Both of my much used little Dremel mototools are shot. Found a drill that still works. The battery drill still works, too, as it had been in it's metal box, but the charger is burned up. Found the melted charger for my camera and the melted mess of my laptop. All clothes and footwear burned. Sleeping bags gone. Sportscarpat's beautiful stainless steel tank for the 50 Schwinn came through it pretty well, but will need new paint. I was glad of that. It was his prototype which he sold to me cheap as being lesser than his later versions. I like it best since it was his first and the beginning of what later became the wonderful Worksman tanks he makes now. So that was kind of a high point. My hard won fenders on the 39 Elgin are salvageable (again), but the frame is warped. I'll be able to save bits and pieces. The American has parts I can save and there are a few things from the 38 Elgin which are still good. That chain guard BarelyAWake liked so much and was thinking about for his Rollfast is still good, so if you want it Barely, it's yours. All the heavy duty wheels are shot and I was especially sorry to see the front drum Worksman wheel from Fasteddy is a loss. I was hoping the clamshell adapter from Jim was still good, but it's a loss, too. All three engines melted which I guess is no surprise. Wrenches and sockets just need cleaning up. Vise is still a vise, minus paint. Then there are mysterious survivors like the little box of diamond bits for the Dremel. A roll of silver solder and paste, untouched. Two new tubes of JB Weld like new (boy that stuff is good!) I'll keep looking for things with some meaning, like my hunting knife I made from a file thirty years ago. Must be in the cab since it was above the visor. I can carve a new handle for it and cover it in Elk hide like before. Silly stuff like that. I called my insurance company to see about canceling my coverage and to let them know that a claim would be coming from the owner of the Blazer which caught on fire from my inferno.
Still kind of in a daze, I had lunch and took a nap... then logged on to the internet with an old computer borrowed from the owner here. I've been holding it together pretty well, being kind of fatalistic about what happened and figuring there's no use crying over the proverbial spilled milk... until I read your posts, you very good and special people. That's when I got a lump in my throat and found some leakage around the eyes. I feel overwhelmed by everyone's caring and kindness. I had never considered someone might want to help and it surprised me and filled my heart with gratitude. It is hard for me to accept help. Always has been. I give it freely, but never felt at ease in accepting it from others. I'm learning that accepting with grace is the flip side of the giving coin. It is important to give with a clear heart, I've long known that, but it is also good to receive well. So the proud old me of my youth wants to say no thank you, but the humbled elder before you shakes each of your hands and thanks you from my heart for your help. I knew this forum was special when I first signed on. You guys...
My paypal email address is:
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...