View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: A Cops perspective....

Rock I can tell you one moment that stands out in my mind all the time and I'll never forget. I went to a domestic violence call once and when I got to the house an older gentleman and his 21 year old son were standing in the front yard. Both of them looked like they had been hit by a truck. They said that they had been fighting with the mans youngest son, 18 years old, and that he was still in the house and they thought he might have a pistol in the house. I went in and called his name several times while I stood near the front door in case I needed to make a quick exit. Finally the kid comes around the corner and he's holding a jacket in both hands in front of him. I yelled for him to drop what he had in his hands three or four times before I finally stuck my pistol pretty much in his face. He refused to drop what he had and I had already been told that he might be armed and why else wouldn't he drop it if it were just a jacket. The kid began to raise his hands towards me and you could tell that he had something under the jacket. Well my H&K service pistol has a 5 pound trigger pull and by now I have about 3 pounds of pressure on the trigger. This kid is literally 2 pounds of trigger pull away from meeting his maker and he finally drops everything in his hands. Under the jacket was a pistol alright, a stinkin toy starter pistol. I almost killed a 18 year old kid for pulling a toy gun on me. I probably would have been totally justified if I had killed him because it definitely looked real enough but I would have had a hard time living with myself if I had. I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself with the deadly force thats part of the job and I've actually had to use it and dont' regret it because the circumstances dictated that I use it but this one incident with the 18 year old kid stays in the back of my mind always.