Glad I found the site

GoldenMotor.com

woodsman

Sep 28, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I have been looking at motorized bikes for 50 years ever since I saw my first Wizzer. I always wanted to get a bike or lately to try and build one. I checked out motors and parts on the internet. I went to some scooter shops none of them were into motorized bikes. I talked to a couple of guys who have been building bikes for a while. Finally I decide to stop talking and wasting time looking at bikes. I went Craigs list picked out 3 bikes I liked that looked in decent shape looked at them and bought my first bike to get started and commit my interest and time to motorized bikes. I am not sure what I have compared to what is available and I am not mechanical but it sure is a kick to ride. Its a steel frame 10 speed mountain bike that came as accessory with a GM Denali wagon outdoor package it has a SKyhawk Gt2-B-48cc engine. Its heavy but runs good and has definitely got me started on building my next bike. Some of the bikes on this site are unbelievable. This site is a great find.

Woodsman

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Yes, I wanted a motorbike so badly as a boy. I would see Whizzer ads in magazines like Popular Mechanics and even ads for little bumblebee motors, I think they were called, which were friction drive and fit on the front fork. It took more pop bottle to cash in than I could find to buy one so like everybody else, put playing cards against the spokes held on to the frame with clothes pins. Sounded kindalittlebit like a motor and great gas mileage. I had to wait half a century to get my first motor and have now satisfied the 12 year old who is the real me, wind in the face, smilin', smilin'. Ha!
SB

woodsman

Sep 28, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Silverbear,

Thanks for the reply. Your right, "It is never to late to have a happy childhood". There are probably many kinrid souls in the rooster of this member ship. If you get a chance tell me what you are riding and if you have a project that you are planning or building

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ol' silver has some cool stuff to be sure & while I hope he's got the time to share some of it w/you - in the meantime I figured I'd mention that if ya click his (or anyone's) username & "view public profile" on the drop down menu that appears, you'll be brought to their profile which includes such wonderfulness as "Find all threads started by..." :D

Good ta have ya here woodsman, ya may find this of interest: http://motorbicycling.com/f28/age-poll-how-old-we-15847-3.html ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barely,
Flattery, sir, will get you everywhere.
Woodsman.
I am a motorbicycle addict with no parents to rein me in and say, "Enough already!" The first time I just wanted to be able to ride and couldn't get it together fast enough, a 63 Schwinn American. (Well, there had been a few bikebug builds prior to that, but they don't count... I hit the 'big time' with the 2 stroke china girl engine and was now hooked. Then I built another 63 American even though there was nothing wrong with the first one. Then a 1939 Elgin step through. This summer a Worksman News Boy and just finishing up a 1950 Schwinn Motorbike with a four stroke. And already need my builder's fix with a new project, a 1934 Elgin step through. I still love riding with the dog in tow behind me, but now the process of planning and building a bike is every bit as rewarding as riding it. I like how I feel when the creative juices flow and I have a project to figure out, lavish my meager financial resources on and devote my full attention to making it as well as I know how... so my skills are improving and some things that were once hard are now easy. It's nice on a blustery winter day to be inside near the wood stove working on a build to be tried out in the spring when the snow is gone and a new riding season has begun. It gives me something to do in my geezer years and this forum gives me a community of like minded people, young and old, to share things with. Pretty cool fun.
SB