Newbie-Galveston

GoldenMotor.com

seasalt2013

Jun 8, 2013
Galveston, TX
I have browsing this site for quite some time, and by quite some time I mean 2 years on and off. I would get busy with life, etc. and always come back. Lady said I can't have a motorcycle. She never said anything about a motor bicycledance1

so, I have begun my journey. I believe I will be ordering the 149 dollar skyhawk kit from gasbikes,and I am either putting it on a light weight road bike frame, or a cruiser. Not sure yet, but probably a cruiser. I have many plans, and would love to do a group ride down galveston beach!! Especially for lonestar rally!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. After two years you've probably read enough to get you going but if you have questions or need advice just ask. We're always here to help. Good luck with your project and have fun and ride safe.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I'm across town from you, in Katy. I can see why you would want to motorize a road bike to help you fight the coastal winds, but most members find the light weight road bikes are far less comfortable. They tend to transmit a lot of engine vibration to your hands and bum. There is an active thread on the forum from a fellow with a motorized Fuji road bike, so search for that post and see how it is going for him.
We did have four or five members on Galveston that rode together occasionally. Don't know if they are still riding.

Last edited:

seasalt2013

Jun 8, 2013
Galveston, TX
Thanks for the warm welcome!
The reason I wanted to use a road bike is because they are so much more efficient. Smaller tires, lighter frame, less power to go faster. Etc.

But, I can now see how a smaller frame would only amplify the amount of vibration caused by the engine, being as they are probably more rigid.

The bike I now have in mind is called a fixie, its a walmart special for 99 bucks. Seems like a cross between a road bike and a hybrid, and have seen online a couple people who have motorized with great success, and not much complaining. One guy , my size (5'8", 150 lbs or so) said he was able to hit 38 on flat ground with stock everything, right from the factory.pretty impressive on a walmart special, and also pretty freaking ballsy!

I have cruised this site for a long time, but never really searched too hard. has anyone tried using any vibration dampeners. Maybe pieces of rubber where the engine mounts to calm down the vibrations?