suicide clutch concept

GoldenMotor.com

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I was wondering if you could have a suicide clutch attached to the motor to engage and disengage the clutch. I was thinking a long pipe attached to the clutch bar that when you pull back it would engage the clutch. Any idea about mounting or a pulley system to add pressure or something. This would be a cool idea but I don't know where to start.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
It might be easy to use the stock cable, shortened of course, going to a fabricated foot pedal. Would be an interesting look. Need a tank shifter to go with it. Will it be along the same theme of your bike, or just want something different? I say do it just for the fun of it. Any mods are a learning experience whether they work or not. You will be surprised how many people think it's the coolest thing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not real sure what your goal is. Do you want the clutch to automatically disengage when you let go of the lever/bar/pedal? Sort of a 'dead man's switch? Or do you want it to engage like any clutch operating device?
Whichever, it is just a simple matter of fabricating the linkage to move or release the clutch actuator arm on the engine. As msrfan said, it would be an item of interest, especially if it was foot operated but then you'd have to devise a way to keep your feet on the pedals and a clutch pedal...too cumbersome me thinks; better stick with a lever on the tank. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.
Tom

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
What is better and simpler is to use a HT clutch lever to disengage a spring loaded belt tensioner. This is what I am using on my HF79 clutch set-up and it works fine. Very light lever action also.