Hi my name is..

GoldenMotor.com

Jul 10, 2011
oregon
Hello all my name is Tony. Just wanted to say I am new to mb, and am eager to ride my first build, but already have had a rough start, got about 2 miles out before my Grubee skyhawk just died, I have checked for spark and there is none... Do these CDI's actually go bad that fast. Has this happened to anyone? Please help.

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
welcome to the speed freaks natural habitat tony:) have no experience of that engine but i wold check the kill switch, spark plug electron distance and spark plug.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Yep Tony I too had an experience like that.

The CDI can be bad or the magneto but it's best to start simple and dismiss things step by step.

The things I know about from friends and now experience are not a complete set of possible causes but they are a few to consider.

Spark plug cap from the CDI broke and the replacement broke for me. Check that.
CDI could have a poor connection or came unplugged,
The magneto wiring could have broke (six hole is supposed to be lower quality)
The head *jug) could be loose and you have lost compression.
The "kill switch" could be bad so unplug from the wiring by the engine and check.

Like I say I am new and learning but those are things I know of so far.. Well that and check that you are not out of gas.

Welcome.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tony,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having troubles but you've found the right place to come for help.
Take a close look at your wiring connections from the CDI/engine. If you're using the kit supplied plug in connectors we always suggest getting rid of them and make those connections soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing.
Many have experienced problems with the kill switch. You can try eliminating it from the circuit to rule out a switch malfunction.
Check the high voltage lead (spark plug wire) connections at both ends. The kit supplied plug boot is not the best way to go. There's too much chance of a poor connection at the plug. Also where the plug wire screws into the CDI.
Post back in the 'Trouble Shooting' section if these suggestions don't pan out for you.
Tom