Vibration tip

GoldenMotor.com

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Point Beach, 66cc, solid mounted. Excessive hand numbing handlebar vibration. Solved. Cruiser handlebars, aside from being what I consider unsafe because of hand position when braking, are the problem with this bike model. Switched to Mt bike bars, alloy, 5" rise, removed over 90% of vibration. Not only do they look better, but there is much more control stability. Try it, you'll like it.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
I thought of shortening the bars, but as I mentioned, at least for me, cruiser bar hand positioning is all wrong. The bike handles so much better with Mt. bike bars.
I remember Ftn Hills when there was nothing there. Spent 31 yrs in the Valley.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I like BMX bars- they usually have about 8 inch rise- not too apehanger- and are perpendicular to the top tube for a much better grip--- They're colorful and have an extra top crossbar for accessories or a pad-

you just have to be carefull because most of them are 7/8 all through, and need a two piece MX stem, unless they have a 1 inch knarl at the center and flat ends on the top crossbar- then they will fit a normal gooseneck-

they didn't do much for vibration- a bigger gear (36 sprocket), smooth tires, a front suspension fork, and now some pipe insulation at motor mounts has cured most of that

Photo to post below-

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
This is a Schwinn I've built up- with MX bars- 7/8" all through, that requires a 3 piece stem-

the stems come in different sizes, but most of the quills are 2.11 mm or 2.22 (7/8") and rare 2.54mm ,(1 inch)-

These annodized retro like this one need to be shimmed in most bikes- I just use tape- although I'd go only one size down- and this Schwinn takes the small quill anyway, but the one in my Peugeot road bike is taped-

Gold here, the Peugeot has a blue, and they come in red too- very lightweight and I love the look-about $20 shipped on e-bay under "BMX stems"

I raced USCF in my younger days, but at 55 and with some back troubles, I really can't ride drop bars any longer.

Attachments