Power issue gx31

GoldenMotor.com

alexander

Feb 25, 2009
new zealand
Hi folk, Alex from New Zealand here.
I've got a problem with a honda gx31 engine that sometimes, especially when warm, looses power, sometimes to the point of just about having 'stuff all' left.
But even when warm, sometimes it suddenly runs with full power again.
That POWERLOSS goes together with a repeating "SWALLOWING SOUND", that sounds like the motor is not getting enough fuel or not enough air.
Its not the sound that usually goes with a bad spark ('missing').
It did that many times before, but usually settled back into running with full power again (even when hot) but now it happens more often.
(The motor has never been overheated).
Its not the airfilter.
Its not the breather in the fuel cap.
I took the carburator apart, cleaned it twice.
I checked the sparkplug clearance and condition (i will next get a new plug to eliminate that possibility, just to be sure).
I even checked the valve clearance.
Could it be the MEMBRANE in the carburator?
I looked at the MEMBRANE and the STEELDISK on it when it moves 'in and out' does so at an slight angle, not totally flat, which makes me think that it might sometimes open at that 'angle' (not getting the right amount of fuel/powerloss) and then suddenly go 'flat' (right amount of fuel).
I will next order a new membrane (if i can still get one seperate).
I also will try to run it without a FUEL FILTER in the tank just to see if the filter might be too dirty because the motor has done over 10000km/300 hours.
That filter in the tank can't be cleaned because it is dense felt and has another superfine filter behind it, so after 300 hours i think it has done it's 'dash'. I will do that and get back to you regarding that.
But i might be wrong with the fuel/air being the cause.
Could it be the COIL or the distance of the MAGNETO to the coil .
I moved that ones but hardly think that would cause such a problem, but i might be wrong, now that i say it out loud, i should realy change the distance and try again; .... does anybody know what distance the magneto should be from the coil; i adjusted it with minimal distance).
I thought somebody might have had a similar problem and was able to solve it and can save me from 'sleepless' nights.
Thanks a lot for your help. AL.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
300 hours? I am guessing the carb needs a re-build. Sounds like it has an intermittant fuel starvation problem.

Also, the felt filter does sound suspect.

Last edited: