The perfect project for Deacon!

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
that is my next project just like that except, I plan to go with a one wheel trailer directly in line with the bikes read wheel. and a rigid two piece tongue righ along the rear tire. At least that is today's plan. I have a rear wheel being bid today on ebay. If i win it I will being looking for a motor. I have ruined about five this year so I have to buy another one for this project. I am thinking about going with a large one this time. 500 watts maybe.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That is my next project just like that except, I plan to go with a one wheel trailer directly in line with the bike's rear wheel. Also with a rigid two piece tongue right along the rear tire. At least that is today's plan. I have a rear wheel being bid today on ebay. If i win it I will being looking for a motor. I have ruined about five this year so I have to buy another one for this project. I am thinking about going with a large one this time. 500 watts maybe.

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
A lot cheaper than a hub motor, and you can throw as many batteries on there as you care to. Plus, it will work with multiple bikes!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thats my thinking too. I have also been kicking around a bike for the communter since they are about to require reg and ins here. I'm thinking small pusher, with battery pack on the unit plus a solar cell to recharge it while the guy is at work.

With plug in for over night charger at home. What do you think. It would have just the pusher, battery, solar cell and charger in the kit. Bolt her up, stick on the throttle or switch and be off with you lad. I'm not sure if I need a controller for it or not. If it operates like a friction drive I won't. With chain drive you need more control than a simple on off switch. It just depends I suppose. Either way it would be a pedal first kind of thing I expect.

From my own trailers I can say this a two wheel short tongue give much more stability to the bike, I don't know what one rigid wheel will do. I can always modify it later to two wheels. Maybe a side car type rig is in order...

If stealth becomes an issue, I could always put a sign board on the trailer and call it an advertising trailer not a power bike.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just took an interest in that as a commuter bike system component. Some employers will allow a trailer inside to charge some probably won't. So if they won't it would be nice to charge while at work. Since I don't work it had not occurred to me before.

I think that since they want to regulate gasoline e-bikes a commuter bike system might be just the thing.

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
I think I would design it a bit different than on that website. I'd build the trailer with a box to put the battery/controller in, then I'd put some sort of basket/rack on top with bungies to put stuff in.

I like the single-wheel idea; less of the bike will be sticking out from the side of the road. Harder to design though, because of the possibility of torque on the tongue - especially with top-weight...

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
A lot cheaper than a hub motor, and you can throw as many batteries on there as you care to. Plus, it will work with multiple bikes!!
Oh yeah. And you're no longer limited to just the ones they sell for ebikes. Heck, use car or motorcycle batteries too. Bigger, heavier, no problem. I can hear our local news, "17 homeowners in a -------- neighborhood complained to police that their car and motorcycle batteries were stolen sometime during the night." laff

Sheesh. Now I gotta plan on building a pusher trailer. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea how it will work since I have never seen anything built this way.

I plan to run a rail straight from the pusher wheel right to the bike wheel one on each side. In effect I think it will be just like having a bicycle built for two. If I can get it stiff enough that is. Only the second rider will be the motor.

I really am looking forward to giving it a try.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I wonder how a set of front forks would do as a hitch? It may be able to mount to the two nuts that hold your rear wheel in place. On second thought , the nuts may come lose with the up/down motion of the trailer.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I need to find a motor that will fit this mount. There are plenty of 350 watt motors on ebay that look like it. I'm sure they will fit, but I would love to stick a 500 watt motor on it or even more. The motor mount just dosen't look as though it will fit.

I have a little time since I don't want to change my battery configuration on the bubba bike till after the 24th. That is the day I go to my wife's retirement party. I really want to ride my bike to it. To do so I need the double battery pack. After that ride I can take the pack apart and use half of it to experiment with the pusher bike.

If the pusher bike works well enough I will probably break down and spend the thirty five bucks for a set of two 7.5 ah batteries to supplement one of the 12ah packs on the bubba bike. Then I can use the second 12ah pack on the pusher bike. If it works.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I have the wheel on the way, and I just finished putting the hangers onto the bike. All I need now is to buy the L channels for the frame and order the motor. I decided to go ahead with the 350 watt motor. It might be a little small but I can increase it later. Also I do have that 300 watt friction motor on the front wheel. Who knows it might be enough.

I also have the new charger hooked up and charging the batteries from this mornings ride. I think tomorrow I might just run over to home depot and see how it handles coming home with a 4ft channel tied on it. I should wait till the weekend for that and use my chauffer. I need a small bag of sack-rete. I broke a cinderblock step I have in the shop. I need to patch it.

Obviously spring is here I'm starting to think about all those things I put off all winter. I fixed the lid on the city approved trash can yesterday. Wife is getting ready for me to paint the upstairs.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't know steve today was a preview. She is off for easter. So far I have planted bushes and patched holes in the driveway. This may be more than I can stand. Worst of all I have to do it her way, rather than my way. Yeah okay hers usually is the right way but still it ain't my way and it is MY sweat.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I don't know steve today was a preview. She is off for easter. So far I have planted bushes and patched holes in the driveway. This may be more than I can stand. Worst of all I have to do it her way, rather than my way. Yeah okay hers usually is the right way but still it ain't my way and it is MY sweat.
Same "problem" Deacon. Then when you do decide to do it your way, they really know how to make you feel lower than a worm. laff Either way, you still end up taking them out to dinner. .duh.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You know I haven't even built the pusher trailer yet but I am already thinking of the ultimate use of it. You know it had to come from my warped mind.

What if, once it is tested, I hook it up to the bubba bike...

Just for those annoying hills that bust my butt. It wouldn't add much weight to the bike, since I already have the batteries on a trailer.

I would need to test it with the friction drive first to see if it is feasable. It will definitely drain the batteries more than the hub motor alone, so I would have to pay attention to that aspect of it. First build then test test test, then see what I have.

I really should not do that I need the bubba just as it is to get some exercise, but It is crossing my mind more and more. What if, I use the regular trailer most of the time, then put on the pusher if I know I am going somewhere that I can not avoid the nasties. Right I would have it on and running all the time to get more speed lol....

I have to stop thinking like this...

Last edited: