Got my Magic Pie 3!!

GoldenMotor.com

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Now to put it all together. I thought the kit included a seat-post mounting rack, but one didn't come. Maybe the "RAK-2" was just the bracket. Also, I ordered a cruise control extra but it was included in kit. So I have 2 now. . .
Got the biggest widest Swalbe tires (Big Apple 2.35") for my 29r Mountain Bike. Getting together with some of my old hangliding friends to figure out how to mount the battery since there is a huge spring in the frame for rear suspension. (happy butt).

Attachments

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
You know, I'm looking around for tires, found Schwalbe company. My god they have some interesting tires. They have a whole ebike section about 4 tires that are extra puncture resistant. However, I wanted very fat and they didn't make any above 1.5 inches, I believe. They have all sorts of innovative tires for all bikes. Shipping was $16 but they came 2 days later, which is great, same day as MP3. Had to go to PO to get MP3, no one to sign yesterday.
Make sure you know if there is a rack included, I still haven't heard back. My guess is the "RAK-2" is the bracket to hook to the Rak-2 rack. :(

they also told me I needed a 140mm disk brake in the back. I took their advice, ordered it, then measured mine. It was 160mm but they had already sent the order.
Paul says just to switch the one off the old wheel or buy one for $15. How little I knew about disk brakes until the fateful day I discovered . . . Magic Pie !!!

Truth be told, you might get cheaper deal from GoldenMotor.ca.
I had trouble adding up their kit. Their shipping is less, their stuff is more. But you got that Gary guy that really knows his stuff.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
any rack will work, if you have the 48v 10amp battery the mount is a slide on the bottom of the battery. you just mount that to any rack of your choice, you use your key to unlock the slide and slip the battery off it and mount the slide, its a nice set up. if the slide is not thier let them know. it is supposed to come with the battery. you are going to love your motorized electric biycle

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mine was like that at first and after mounted and used a few times no problems. don't be in a hurry to grind hole bigger or you may get some rattle. also I put a very tiny bit of grease on the rails so it slides on and off the bike real nice. its an awesome set up for sure.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
All I.can say is: You're gonna love it when your done because it looks like you've got a nice set up. I ride mine everyday and its a blast. If you're going to put on a head lamp, I highly recommend getting one like I have. It can handle up to 72 volts and its super bright. I have mine hooked up to my 48 volt battery and haven't had one issue.
One thing I suggest is to buy tire liners because there's nothing worst that getting a flat. Especially on your rear tire.
Good luck and be safe.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
for me I quess after having flats with the gas bike the electric bicycle is a piece of cake. flip it upside down pull the wheel off and replace the tube. pain yes but nothing like messing with both chains, gas and everything else involved with removing the rear wheel on a gas bike

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
for me I quess after having flats with the gas bike the electric bicycle is a piece of cake. flip it upside down pull the wheel off and replace the tube. pain yes but nothing like messing with both chains, gas and everything else involved with removing the rear wheel on a gas bike
I didn't even think of that Paul. I guess I still have the gasser mentality. haha

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That MP3 is really heavy though. When I put the tire on mine I clamped the flats of the axle in a vice which made the process much easier.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Yes, MP3 is heavy. Lot's of calories in that pie!
Thanks for the headlight tips. How about horn? We should have a thread just on people's favorite horn. I want to get the stuff from GM but the shipping is murder.

Also, where can I get a wheel that matches my Magic Pie Wheel's looks?
Gotta be balanced here. If possible.

I also stripped several torx bolts trying to remove the disk from my mt bike wheel to put on the MP. I was told that a "Grabit" would do the job of removing these stripped bold heads. Found the "Pro" version and ordered one here:
http://www.thegrabitstore.com/Pages/MicroGrabitIndividual.aspx

Last edited:

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, Golden Motors said that a 700cc rim would be $20 and the spokes would be $12. They didn't say anything about the hub. My guess is double that for freight ha.
Looking for input or sources closer to me to get a wheel that looks like the Magic Pie 3 wheel.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A suggestion - you may wish to consider replacing the MP3 rim rather than getting another to match it, they're not bad rims... but they're not great ones either & if yer gonna replace, why not up the game a touch?

Jus' a thought ;)

edit;

not the size ya mentioned ofc, but these are what I chose to replace my MP2 & stock front rim as an example;

http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-Disc-Bull-2-00-Black/dp/B0013G8OGC about $20ea - but the Amazon pic is wrong, they're this rim;

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Also, where can I get a wheel that matches my Magic Pie Wheel's looks?
Gotta be balanced here. If possible.

I also stripped several torx bolts trying to remove the disk from my mt bike wheel to put on the MP. I was told that a "Grabit" would do the job of removing these stripped bold heads. Found the "Pro" version and ordered one here:
http://www.thegrabitstore.com/Pages/MicroGrabitIndividual.aspx
If you want a matching rim, use your old rim if it's a 36 hole rim. You won't have to get new spokes if the rim size is the same. That's what I kind of did.
As for the torx, use a small needle nose vise grip and grab the outside of the torx heads. I never use the torx bolt twice because they tend to strip out from my experiences.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
I want to keep replaced mt bike rims and all so if I decide to go with my ski/bike buddies I have a mountain bike.

Thanks for the Amazon link but those are 26" i've 700cc (29r mt bike).

I also understand the the GM wheels are double wall due to increased loads yada yada.

Dave from GM quoted me $70 including freight for spokes and wheel. That's liveable, but one must remember, most shops charge $50 to spoke a wheel. And then there is the hub and disk rotor. But. . . . matching rims. . .. priceless! huge friggin ego here and I haven't even got the thing working yet haha. But thank you all on this forum.