charging electric bicycle battery

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
do you all unplug battery from the bicycle when you charge it? i have heard yes you should and also that its not necessary. i been unplugging the battery from the bicycle just to be safe. curious how you all are doing it

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It... should be OK to not unplug it, but TBH I don't actually know for certain & I suspect it may depend on what controller & charger you've got, thus the discrepancy in answers *shrug* Regardless - I unplug the main power supply from the motor whenever I park the bike anyway, the reason is as follows;

Ebike still fairly new, I rode to work & parked it in the corner as is my norm, unplugging the main power lead. As I stepped away from the bike a coworker asked "New bike huh? & reached over to poke a few buttons & flick the throttle... and then asked "So why do you unplug it, does it drain out?"

I promptly replied "No. I unplug it because of folks like you, you did after all just hit the throttle yakno."

He got POed about that... there's no figuring some people lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
lololol. sounds like the people i work with. i have a key for mine and always pull it the minute i get off. like you i figure better to be safe then sorry. battery is most expensive part of the bike so i take every percaution.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
I always bring my battery inside and charge it. The bike stays in the gaurage the battery comes into the bedroom. It is best to store your battery where the is a constant non extreme tempature. Look at it this way if there is a surge and the battery is off the bike your only going to damage the battery and not the the whole electrical system of the bike.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If the circuit from the battery to the controller is open, it doesn't matter weather there are surges or not. Even though the battery is on the bike it is not connected to anything except the charger.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
do you mean like the key being turned off mike? also i read somewhere that it is a good idea to leave key on for a minute or so when you stop that stored energy may still be transferring to the battery from the regan brakes. not sure if that is true but i do not take any chances

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
There is no regen if you are not moving. Every motor is a generator. If it is not moving there is no back emf.

Yes, your key switch opens the circuit to the controller. The battery is charged though a completely different circuit that includes the BMS.