electric bicycle tires

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am putting a lot of miles on the pie trek and i will most likely need new tires in the next few months and it takes time to find someone that ships here also time to get here. my riding is streets with big pot holes and also lots of things to pop a tire. anyway looking for a slick or semi slick that will last. i am actually putting more miles on the e-bike then the car. so if i could get some recommendations and why the tire is good i would appreciate it. the tires i run now are off road with a bell guaranteed no flats tube. got a flat with it first five miles lol but i think it was a faulty tube. no problems since. thank you

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like the hookworms. I was led to believe that the compound was soft and wears fast, but a hundred miles has not even wore off the "flash".

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i found someone that will ship the cheng shin for only 6.99 shipping on the maxis tires so far either they wouldn't ship or the shipping was rediculously high. thanks ba

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That Cheng Shin looks like a Hookworm copy.

Should work good. I am going to use round profile tires exclusivly from now on, I think they handle a lot better than non-constant radius tires.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have done that in the past with family shipping here. ends up double shipping and cost about the same and takes longer. i just have to take my time looking and sooner or later you find someone that will ship usps priority flat rate box which is the same cost as shipping in the states

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
my review on running road slicks over mountain or knobby tires.
top speed on level ground no change. time to get thier a lot quicker. faster down hill. higher speed up hill. noise gone. i thought the whistling i heard was the motor or fan to cool the controller however it must have been the tires because it is even quiter now. over all results of semi slicks is much better performance which results in longer distance per charge. very happy with the change. i did not expect any where near the difference i am getting

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
You could try Schwalbe tires. They are a European company and cater to bicycles and Mopeds/Scooters. Europe also seems to be having an ebike boom right now because many of their tires have a "speed rating" of sustained use at 50 and they even have a dedicated line of ebike tires to maximize efficiency and battery life. You seem to like skinnier tires, here's a link. http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/energizer_pro

twinbrother

Dec 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Paul, I got these tires because of the great reviews. I've done heavy researching for hi-mileage tires. One guy says he put 3000 miles on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Mara...&keywords=bicycle+tire+schwalbe+marathon+plus

See if you can find a shipper. It's a more expensive tire, but gets 3x the mileage as cheaper tires, supposedly. My $15 tire only gave me about 800 miles. As for punctures, here is my solution. I put 2x tire liners between the tube and the tire. Yup, 2 of them. The extra weight does not matter as you're on an e-bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Bicycle...e=UTF8&qid=1354832486&sr=1-1&keywords=mr+tire

Two of those on front and back, and I have not had a flat since I put them on. I had 2 flats before using the tire liners. I had a thorn sticking out one of the tires with the liners installed and it stopped the thorn from puncturing the tube.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thanks twinbrother. i been looking at the schwalbe and also the maxixis hookworm. not sure what route i will go. have to recover from shocks and stuff i just ordered lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i ended up ordering Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.00 Kevlar Guard Performance Series. they are not the cheapest tire however i figure i have spent so much on everything else may as well have good tires lol. ended up going with the 2.00 over the 2.125 or larger because the 2.00 will hold up to 70lbs psi. the others only 55lb psi. the apple is also electric bicycle rated
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple