new DIY build

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
So I've got the homelite engine with a new shaft from SpiderSpartan- looks good. I'm getting a go kart clutch and building a jackshaft- getting a shaft kit from a go kart supply.

The engine kit that my SO bought for me from LiveFastMotors was missing (so I thought) the mounting nuts and bolts for the sprocket. We were informed that they didn't come with that particular kit. Then we got an email 20 minutes later offering us a sprocket and mounting hardware at a very cheap price, much cheaper than it would have cost for me to buy it direct from his site. Which is totally sweet. LiveFast has a customer for life now.

So now I'm going to have 2 sprockets for bikes, OH what to do....rotfl

Also the guy with the 70s/ 80's raleigh chopper called me back.* I'm getting that for cheap too, hopefully tomorrow after work. I'm mounting the homelite, jack shaft and new sprocket on that. It's going to be a TIGHT fit but I think it will be totally sweet. I think that the ONLY engine that would fit in there is that tiny little homelite. I may need to strip it down of its case though...

I've got a round fiberglass gas tank coming too. It's got raised lettering on it that says "2 Stroke mix only." That painted up black with the high rise chrome handlebars, 20 inch rear wheel and 16 inch front wheel will make the ultimate rat rod.

I can't wait to ride it around. I'm still a month or so away from getting that up and running. Fun money has to get saved in my can for the jackshaft kit...

I'll get going on it right after I finish the chengine kit. I'm almost as excited about eh raliegh chopper as I am the chengine kit..

*Note I do not thing that the raleigh chopper is original but a later reproduction. No matter what it's got a steel frame and that's something i can work with.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds like you have a lot of building to do keep us informed. The more you post the more we all learn.

They say that five hole sprocket is a killer on spokes. Did you get the donut and the back plates with it.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
sounds like you have a lot of building to do keep us informed. The more you post the more we all learn.

They say that five hole sprocket is a killer on spokes. Did you get the donut and the back plates with it.
It did come with the donut and back plate. I'm using the 5 hole on the OCC Chopper build. I've already drilled out the hub and I'm going to mount it through the hub, using one of the donuts and no back plate- it's not needed because of the drilled hub, a least from everything thing I've read. the 5 hole won't fit on the OCC Chopper without drilling. I do like the look of the 5 large holes on the sprocket...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So the rear wheel is not like any standard wheel on the chopper. I don't think I am familiar with it then. Good luck on your build.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So the rear wheel is not like any standard wheel on the chopper. I don't think I am familiar with it then. Good luck on your build.
As soon as I get my lazy butt dressed, I'm going to the lawnmower repair shop on my bike to try to find a nut and inline gas shutoff. It's a good excuse to start riding the bike for a good reason.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
the OCC stingray back hub has a wide flange that is easily drilled for mounting purposes. much larger than my mountain bikes hub flange. I'll post a pick of the flange where I drilled it and see if I can get a comparative shot of my mountain bike or madwagon's hub flange so you can see the difference. The flange is about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter wider than the hub itself. I was able to get 6 fairly large holes in it with room to spare.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw that on your other post just wasn't sure what I was looking at now that you explain, i got it. Thanks

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
no problem D. I"m still waiting to hear from the guy with the Raleigh chopper. we've been playing phone tag the last couple of days, I'm hoping he doesn't sell it to someone else.

I can't wait to get the tank.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I need to do some thing about a better fuel tank for my bikes. Those lil weed eater things are a joke. I had one of the red canteens split on me and now I'm leery of them. I Like the big thick canteen I have but chances of finding that again in a thrift store a nil. I might have to get one of those fancy round things from on old tractor type lawn mower. I see them now and then on ebay. Then again there has to be something cooler than a regular gas tank.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I have bid on no less than a half dozen of those antique round tanks. they go for what is an astronomical amount of money for me. You also need to make sure that you are getting one that is the right size- some are 2 gallons!!!

I scored a fiberglass one, not because I wanted fiberglass but because it was cheap because no one else wanted it either... BUT It's pretty cool looking with the "2 stroke Only" raised on the top. I think it will hold a half gallon or so. I should get it in the next day or two. SO I could be talking out my butt- I've only seen pictures. lol.

I have seen a lot of cool tanks on eBay though. SOme of the lawn mower tanks are very nice- I saw one that held just about half a gallon was about triangle shaped but rounded and flat-ish on the bottom. I thought it would be a pretty sweet retro fit onto a friction drive.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was pretty sure those tanks would be expensive. They are just too cool looking not to be.

By the way have you noticed an increase in the number of those small scooters that run under the moped laws. They are getting right popular here. I still get my eyeball attention than they do though lol,

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I was pretty sure those tanks would be expensive. They are just too cool looking not to be.

By the way have you noticed an increase in the number of those small scooters that run under the moped laws. They are getting right popular here. I still get my eyeball attention than they do though lol,
You have to understand that for me expensive is over $15 for something that is used, especially if I have to put work into it. I lost out on a bunch that went up to $30+ Which still isn't bad for a round gas tanks.

I got the fiberglass one for $10 plus shipping. But it's not vintage...

There are a lot of those little go peds with seats around lately and the 50cc scooters have been selling like crazy around here and I hear a lot of them go by on the main street and on my street too. There is a guy down the street from me selling them out of a sketchy warehouse and there is the Ducati dealership down that way too.

I welcome them. I think it's good that there are more people running these things- the more people running them the less of a headache it will be for me to register. (^)

Deacon- did you see the pics I put up of the progress I made on the OCC last night? If I didn't have to work late the next 2 nights I'd be riding it tonight. But then something has to pay the fun bills...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just saw it... you got a lot done in just four hours work. It took me four hours just to figure out which bike to put my motor on originally.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
The mount from Barry made it fast. Seriously, I drilled 2 holes, put the base of the mount on , inserted 1 bolt, put the top of the clamp on and then the mount itself then repeated it all. loosely tightened everything, set the motor in place and adjusted it to where it needed to be and then removed the engine and tightened the clamp and loctited the shizzle out of it. That clamp is bullet proof. It took what could have been a long laborious install and made it a breeze.

And the bike looks awesome.

However I did get my round tank in the mail today. It's going to be perfect for the rat rod build. However the seller did my least favorite eBay trick and packaged it in trash and not well. I can take trash or recycled materials as packing but this was bad packing- no padding for the tank, it was shoved TIGHTLY into a capri sun box, petcock and filter ripped off and shoved into the box. No padding, none, not a scrap of paper or bubble wrap. Seller also failed to mention that the paint in the tank was not original, regular spray paint on plastic and that it was bubbling off... I will have to put more work into than expected but when it's done it will be so cool...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ebay the working man's "crap" shoot. For every seller like me there is one like you mention.

Well I can remember having two bikes going at once and running around like a madman. It wasn't much fun.....it was great fun lol..

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I am a seasoned eBay seller myself. Over 350 positive 100% feedback and I prided myself on consistently fast and excellent shipping. My buyers came back again and again. I just don't understand people who don't take pride in what they do.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I cut back on my sales a couple of years ago because I was able to sell my art on etsy.com and keep more $$$ in my pocket. My feedback recieve is well over 400 but I have repeat buyers...

I wish I was finished. I've had to work 6am to 6pm the last 2 days so I haven't gotten any work done on it. I haven't been getting home until past 7pm and getting back up to do it all over at 5am... I'll probably finish it tomorrow night. I'm mounting the tank and hopefully getting the chain on and hopefully getting my first ride on it. We'll see though Might not get it done until Friday sometime. I have it off but my father is visiting this weekend to help me install a pellet stove.

Its taunting me though. I walk pas the garage when I get home- It wants me to get out there and finish it, but I know if I go out into the garage for "just one little thing" I"ll be out there for the night and won't get to sleep until past midnight... Falling asleep while driving to work is not something I want to do. lol