New cylinder bolt question

GoldenMotor.com

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
I know they sell extremely long threaded rods at home depo and such.
I'm wondering, can I use those even though they're threaded along the entire rod? Also, what's the best way to cut the rods? will I need any power equipment?

Recently got a bike for free from someone outside my workplace, and I'm replacing a lot of the crappy Chinese bolts and studs (along with other parts)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I know they sell extremely long threaded rods at home depo and such.
I'm wondering, can I use those even though they're threaded along the entire rod? Also, what's the best way to cut the rods? will I need any power equipment?

Recently got a bike for free from someone outside my workplace, and I'm replacing a lot of the crappy Chinese bolts and studs (along with other parts)
I make them out of all thread, I have not one customer complain, as they hold up better then the OEM studs. (Metric 8.8) = to USS Grade 5
You can't find all thread in metric threads (8X1.25) (8X1.0) and (6X1.0) in either Home Depot or Lowe's. I've tried. I buy my stock material from a specialty fastener store, and sometimes I have to wait for the order to come in. In fact I've ordered all of the above before I run out.

I cut mine with a hacksaw, dress on a bench grinder then run (clean the threads) through a die.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Last edited: