Ever try to use a belt drive bike?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Well, you are only going to have a single speed with this bike. Why bother with the shift kit?
Novelty factor - besides you could get one with a 5 speed hub and have at it.

I read 90% of the links in that search and didn't learn much - still wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Novelty factor - besides you could get one with a 5 speed hub and have at it.

I read 90% of the links in that search and didn't learn much - still wondering if anyone has any experience with these.
See post #6 the first of five pictures at my Thread

(Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe?)

You will see the engine with clutch and jack shaft with rear belt drive. Adjusting the belt is necessary as it wears before you throw it out. The Link Belt I have helps with that and also moving the rear wheel and the jack shaft adjustment that I had made part of my design. The thing though is that moving the jackshaft affects both the chain and the belt, but the engine adjustment and adding and removing a link in the chain is also available for me to do.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/motor-bike-diyer-build-add-side-29678.html#post342516

The Engine a 3hp side shaft Briggs and my welded platform for the engine and jack shaft. Centrifugal clutch to chain to Jackshaft. This centers engine by weight on the frame. The sizes of gears help so far getting 8.3 I think I checked to 1 with the small pulley and large washing machine moded pulley on the rear hub. No speeds just one unless you count stopping and getting a different gear and pulley, which the kit did come with two gears. I will eventually need to get a very large gear on the jack shaft to get it to run slow at 5mph and not burn up the clutch pulsing the throttle.

The side car and the art covering to do after the motor bikes completion.

Measure Twice

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
the Gates drive is perhaps the foremost of elitism when it comnes to belt drive on a bicycle. The Raleigh in OP's post uses it.
The cogs are not cheap, neither are the belts, and the RHS dropout is always notched on a bike with a Gates or other pedal belt drive.

One of my brothers and I have been debating, arguing, and armchair engineering over it for months.
Honestly a chain is much less trouble lol

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I pretty much agree with Aleman. My son son brought home a Trek demo from the shop where he works back when they first hit the sales floor. IMO it was another marketing scheme in a maturing industry searching for novelty and a solution looking for a problem. It locks you into single speed or internal gears and the precise machining necessary for a solid connection between the drop and chain stay has to run the production costs way up.

Errrr, until wallyworld gets a hold of the notion, and then they'll do for belt drive what they did for 29ers or fixed gear, lol.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Forgot to mention about torque converter that uses the belt drive. Some setups also utilize a jack shaft and the chain goes from the jack shaft to a rear sprocket on the rear wheel hub.

I would say if you can fit this in the design and can afford a torque converter they are essentially infinite and automatic shift, nice to have to patch out!

I really chose to go with what was already existing parts I had to save some costs, but I have built two other motor bikes belt drive using no clutch at all and even a two horse four stroke chugged at start, but really got up to speed and was fun riding in the woods.

My builds have always had the pedals removed; they are not for the street.

Measure Twice