Advantages of a motorized mountain bike.

GoldenMotor.com

Donkeyboy

Sep 17, 2011
Park City, KS
My first MB was a 48cc grubee huffy beach cruiser. I loved that bike, as it propelled me problem-free all along the sun-coast(new port richey, tarpon springs, clearwater, St. Pete area of central florida for most of a year. Then, I left the sidewalk into wet grass and busted my ASS! I picked it up, with minor injuries, and rode it home to Hudson. I had road tires on the bike, and I can tell you, that in any kind of wet grass it was un-steerable...Don't get me wrong- if you keep it on the asphalt or sidewalk they are great. Unfortunately, a few weeks later it was stolen. :-( That guy is lucky I never found him. I might be in prison as we speak! LOL. SO, I went and found(on craigslist) a good grade old-style mountain bike(with the standard tubes), it was VERY light- I could lift it over my head with my pinky finger LOL. I then ordered a 66 cc RAW motor and mounted it, and other than the(semi) uncomfortable riding position, it was superior in every way...I can jump off-road into moderate terain no-problem.,
and on-road it is every bit as stable as the cruiser. The only problem is storage space. that's why I am trying to figure out how to put me a storage basket on the back so I can carry my laptop, groceries, etc...a problem I never had with the cruiser.....

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Thats what i love about mountain bikes, they can take the punishment. They can take the vibration no problem. Going off road down muddy unpaved roads is a piece of cake. Thats where u can see the horsepower. Sure it may cut your speed down, but it doesn't struggle hard.

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
I'm enjoying my Huffy Tundra ATB as well . I put Kenda Komfort street tires on it way before I put an engine on it for what good are knobbies if all you do is ride on is pavement. Now that I'm being pushed by a big, bad 25cc 2 stroke, I've replaced my seat with a wider, dual spring seat. Somewhat more comfortable. I have my steering post as high as it will safely go (past the safety line imprinted on it) but still get somewhat tired of always leaning forward on it. Before I start looking for a more upright, higher handle bar I'm going to replace the hand grips with the cushiest ones I can find & see what that does. I really don't ride far on mine so I think the hand grips will be a cheap fix. Otherwise, I know what needs to be done.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
... The only problem is storage space. that's why I am trying to figure out how to put me a storage basket on the back so I can carry my laptop, groceries, etc...a problem I never had with the cruiser.....
Storage space? Got it covered, this is my bike:

The rear carrier rack has an Axiom waterproof bag attached to each side, then a nice chrome shopping basket like you find in drugstores found it's way on there with about a dozen heavy cable ties (50 lb rated), effectively locking the bags to the sides.
Over the front wheel I have a small front rack, it attaches through the brake caliper area, and where the brake pads are mounted. To it I have a basket turned end-ways on, for narrower profile. It's hangers came off fairly easily and went on the end to go around the stem instead of over the bars, and more heavy cable ties in strategic locations secure it to the carrier. I have a set of bags I can hang off the front rack as well, but haven't needed them yet.

Carries all my stuff quite well. You can get wider carriers, which would be better for a laptop, but I almost catch my heel on these sometimes. Just make sure it's waterproof and I'd recommend the laptop itself has a foam-packed hardcase case against vibration or road debris hitting the outside. I have a stainless Thermos that has a nifty ding in it from a piece of gravel that ricocheted off it when a car kicked it up (well, sort of shot sideways and up from under the tire's edge) and hit the bag it was in.

Edit: I removed the tank after this pic to plug a leak and before I reinstalled it I put a frame bag in place (just behind the head tube under the bar) before the tank went back on. Holds a handful of smaller repair objects (patch kits, spare masterlink and clips, etc) and a clear pair of safety glasses (my prefered eyewear for night riding, my mirrored pair lives in the jacket I wear riding ;) ).

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice set up, Whelan. I haven't been near Sudbury for around 4 years (last time through we basicaly turned left at Sudbury on the way to Vancouver from London, Ont., and haven't been back yet).