Morini 7th Annual SD Ride Results

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Got my Morini Cruzer done a couple weeks ago and had not ever taken her on any long rides more than a mile or two. I thought the 7th Annual San Diego 70 miler would be just the right venue to break her in.

Part of the reason I upgraded to the Morini is because I was on a 40mile SD group ride and if your not familiar with these guys they are decently quick. Needless to say this same bike had an HT/China Girl and had a hard time keeping my 6ft 225lbs self up with the pack. Also a few days after my firdt ride i spun the woodruf key on the crank. I wanted more power and more reliabilty, I got both.

Same bike but now with an S6s, and it was easily the fastest bike on the ride. Although it should be noted that there were some quick bikes amongst the pack. Scotto had a good running 4 stroke bike (from what Ive seen his latest large displacement creation is pretty mean), there was a guy who had one of the best running China girls Ive ever seen, (respect) it was pretty tricked out (although he DNF due to having snapped 2 motor mounts).
Then there was the guy from L.A. with the 6.5hp Harbor Freight (engineering marvel, this guys attention to detail on his build was unmatched) who was able to give me a good run until I came up on pipe.
A few Sunday commuters were able to verify speeds of around 50mph without much effort sitting straight up.

Last thing Ill say about performance was the hill climbing ability of this motor. I was expecting since these must rev so high to make power, that hills would be average. Boy was I wrong, that thing shot up a massive hill on Torrie Pines road like it was fired out of a cannon. I started at the end of the pack and ripped past everyone. once I got to the top I was able the deploy the kick stand and wait for everyone else to make it up. Although they all waited for me when I blew my secondary muffler off earlier on. Haha
I never needed to pedle either, if I did it was for looks from a dead stop or going up any hill it was never an issue.

Two other small things I love are the sound of the morini through my KTM 50 pipe and the kick start. When your leaving a place and people see you kick starting your bike they do nt know what to think. Haha
I finished the 73 mile ride and couldnt have asked for a more reliable motor, here are a few negative points (opinions may vary, these are just mine).

The Bad:

-My two muffler exhaust needs to be refined. The tuned pipe can stay but on the top end the HT muffler is creating too much backpressure. Noise is an issue with just the KTM 50 tuned pipe.
- She drinks like a filthy sailor, consuming more fuel than other 2 strokes with more displacement (50cc vs. 66cc).
-The on /off nature of the Morini doesnt lend itself well to these types of rides like a 4 stroke does. Its on/off nature makes it want to either be going full throttle or idling. Its like doing a cross coutry trip in either a Camry or Ferrari.
-Any pulling up on the bars to avoid potholes while accelerating can cause these .wee.

Overall, it was a good ride with a very capable engine and at least now i know where I need to focus my attention on my refinements.

Last edited:

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Got my Morini Cruzer done a couple weeks ago and had not ever taken her on any long rides more than a mile or two. I thought the 7th Annual San Diego 70 miler would be just the right venue to break her in.

Part of the reason I upgraded to the Morini is because I was on a 40mile SD group ride and if your not familiar with these guys they are decently quick. Needless to say this same bike had an HT/China Girl and had a hard time keeping my 6ft 225lbs self up with the pack. Also a few days after my firdt ride i spun the woodruf key on the crank. I wanted more power and more reliabilty, I got both.

Same bike but now with an S6s, and it was easily the fastest bike on the ride. Although it should be noted that there were some quick bikes amongst the pack. Scotto had a good running 4 stroke bike (from what Ive seen his latest large displacement creation is pretty mean), there was a guy who had one of the best running China girls Ive ever seen, (respect) it was pretty tricked out (although he DNF due to having snapped 2 motor mounts).
Then there was the guy from L.A. with the 6.5hp Harbor Freight (engineering marvel, this guys attention to detail on his build was unmatched) who was able to give me a good run until I came up on pipe.
A few Sunday commuters were able to verify speeds of around 50mph without much effort sitting straight up.

Last thing Ill say about performance was the hill climbing ability of this motor. I was expecting since these must rev so high to make power, that hills would be average. Boy was I wrong, that thing shot up a massive hill on Torrie Pines road like it was fired out of a cannon. I started at the end of the pack and ripped past everyone. once I got to the top I was able the deploy the kick stand and wait for everyone else to make it up. Although they all waited for me when I blew my secondary muffler off earlier on. Haha
I never needed to pedle either, if I did it was for looks from a dead stop or going up any hill it was never an issue.

Two other small things I love are the sound of the morini through my KTM 50 pipe and the kick start. When your leaving a place and people see you kick starting your bike they do nt know what to think. Haha
I finished the 73 mile ride and couldnt have asked for a more reliable motor, here are a few negative points (opinions may vary, these are just mine).

The Bad:

-My two muffler exhaust needs to be refined. The tuned pipe can stay but on the top end the HT muffler is creating too much backpressure. Noise is an issue with just the KTM 50 tuned pipe.
- She drinks like a filthy sailor, consuming more fuel than other 2 strokes with more displacement (50cc vs. 66cc).
-The on /off nature of the Morini doesnt lend itself well to these types of rides like a 4 stroke does. Its on/off nature makes it want to either be going full throttle or idling. Its like doing a cross coutry trip in either a Camry or Ferrari.
-Any pulling up on the bars to avoid potholes while accelerating can cause these .wee.

Overall, it was a good ride with a very capable engine and at least now i know where I need to focus my attention on my refinements.
Adjust the clutch.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I also found when my carb lower half Idle circuit was not fine tuned my cruising was lousy. I originally had mine so rich it would only do fuller open throttle for smother running.. My carb tuning was my biggest lesson with my S6S at 6000 ft.

I just recently switch to a 21mm from a 19 carb. I noticed I liked it more way more but can tell with major climate changes just a bit. Some one else not familiar with my bike might not even notice? I originally ''fine'' tuned it late at night in high humidity.. In the high heat of the day it will 4 stroke more down low. Which seams fine for over all cooling if the carb is richer in hot days from less dense air. Talking about the lower rpm's. Pesky bugger but a ton of fun!! Darn playful! I am getting ready to build another as I speak.(^)

I am really glade to here you are loving your S6S dnut

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I also found when my carb lower half Idle circuit was not fine tuned my cruising was lousy. I originally had mine so rich it would only do fuller open throttle for smother running.. My carb tuning was my biggest lesson with my S6S at 6000 ft.

I just recently switch to a 21mm from a 19 carb. I noticed I liked it more way more but can tell with major climate changes just a bit. Some one else not familiar with my bike might not even notice? I originally ''fine'' tuned it late at night in high humidity.. In the high heat of the day it will 4 stroke more down low. Which seams fine for over all cooling if the carb is richer in hot days from less dense air. Talking about the lower rpm's. Pesky bugger but a ton of fun!! Darn playful! I am getting ready to build another as I speak.(^)

I am really glade to here you are loving your S6S dnut
Really? So how did you go about making the adjustments to the idle circuit other than the idle screw? Did you switch to a 21mm Delorto? Ive got it now where the plug comes out almost perfectly chocolate with little or no build up on it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Really? So how did you go about making the adjustments to the idle circuit other than the idle screw? Did you switch to a 21mm Delorto? Ive got it now where the plug comes out almost perfectly chocolate with little or no build up on it.
Jets would not do for me in the end it was a leaner atomizer. The 21mm carb is a dellorto and they jet wise all their parts are totally interchangeable with the 19mm Del.

The feel I got from it was compatible to when a guy first port matches a H.T.

I was mad lost tuning my carby in the beginning I totally understand it now. I left links to carb tutorials on my BoXer thread. For the record I run my S6S as rich as I can get away with. Always on the rich side thats where I found the most power and over all happiness..

new products today at treatland.tv
I starred at this sight a lot been thinking about a 24mm laff

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You are at sea level your carb should be very close? As most carbs are tuned from the factory for sea level from what I have heard and read. I bought my 21mm carb from a member out near you in Cali. It was jetted way richer than I could run it here. Yet from my observations a perfect tune makes a world of difference.

Check with members near you Sportscarpet/Piplylnn etc and others near you for their tuning preference. It would take a little trial and error for me to tune down there. I am just not familiar. I can tell yeah what jets I found in the 21mm Del when I got it tho.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
I will have to say that bike of yours is a beast. Ive had a few of these motorbike but yours is the only one that had be shakin a bit afterwards. One **** of a mean bike.

-Hawaii

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I will have to say that bike of yours is a beast. Ive had a few of these motorbike but yours is the only one that had be shakin a bit afterwards. One **** of a mean bike.

-Hawaii
Thanks buddy, Id be more than happy to help weld you up some mounts if you wanna build one, so you can do what it says you wanna do in your signature :)

Although, now that I think about it your China girl, was the only one to finish the entire 70 miles. Thats outstanding, good job.

Anytime after 5 pm should be fine to come get that carb.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
You are at sea level your carb should be very close? As most carbs are tuned from the factory for sea level from what I have heard and read. I bought my 21mm carb from a member out near you in Cali. It was jetted way richer than I could run it here. Yet from my observations a perfect tune makes a world of difference.

Check with members near you Sportscarpet/Piplylnn etc and others near you for their tuning preference. It would take a little trial and error for me to tune down there. I am just not familiar. I can tell yeah what jets I found in the 21mm Del when I got it tho.
I see, so it was an issue based of elevation (6000) more than anything? At this point my plug is picture perfect and it idles very well (never stalled once in stop and go traffic for 70 miles).

Until I find another guy around here with an S6s to compare with I think Ill leave the engine aspects alone for now as I honestly couldn't ask for a more reliable and powerful engine bike engine. Not to mention, right now, the clutch comes in like a 4000 rpm lock up torque convertor. When I go much thinner on the beveled washers I get some starting issues.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That is interesting so you are saying you drive the bike around with a tach on it? So ten tooth front sprocket S6S comes with those. What was your rear size sprocket and wheel. Also top speed? Last complete weight bike and rider? If you don't mind? Just curious? I don't mean to be intrusive.

I do a lot of tuning mathematics as I am very found of these motors..:)

You can learn a bunch going to one of the local races down there. I wish I lived closer. There will certainly be other S6S's there!;) http://motorbicycling.com/f35/so-cal-race-oct-22-grange-32562.html

I have a fair idea me thinks who the fastest bike are?

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
That is interesting so you are saying you drive the bike around with a tach on it? So ten tooth front sprocket S6S comes with those. What was your rear size sprocket and wheel. Also top speed? Last complete weight bike and rider? If you don't mind? Just curious? I don't mean to be intrusive.

I do a lot of tuning mathematics as I am very found of these motors..:)

You can learn a bunch going to one of the local races down there. I wish I lived closer. There will certainly be other S6S's there!;) http://motorbicycling.com/f35/so-cal-race-oct-22-grange-32562.html

I have a fair idea me thinks who the fastest bike are?
No tach, I have the 10 tooth front, Ive trd a 60 tooth and a 54, I also have a 48 tooth that Im afraid try. 26" wheels. Ill have to get back to you on the weight as I am not sure, definitely light for a cruiser since its all aluminum. Top speed on a probably not completely broken in motor, so far, is 53 mph (measured by a person driving next to me on the flattest road I could find.

That is a great idea (the races), arent there two of them? Maybe Ill go and participate in a few since I just got back from this place Bondurant Racing School of High Performance Driving a few weeks ago, and have been looking for some type of venue to test my new skills. Looks like theres one at La Grange and one at Willow?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
No tach, I have the 10 tooth front, Ive trd a 60 tooth and a 54, I also have a 48 tooth that Im afraid try. 26" wheels. Ill have to get back to you on the weight as I am not sure, definitely light for a cruiser since its all aluminum. Top speed on a probably not completely broken in motor, so far, is 53 mph (measured by a person driving next to me on the flattest road I could find.

That is a great idea (the races), arent there two of them? Maybe Ill go and participate in a few since I just got back from this place Bondurant Racing School of High Performance Driving a few weeks ago, and have been looking for some type of venue to test my new skills. Looks like theres one at La Grange and one at Willow?
Yes Sir, the Morini is running like a champ! Would be great to see you at the races bro, it's a blast! Oct. 22 is Grange Racing Day....be there!

dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

So ya never ever tried the 48 tooth? I have a 49 tooth saved for my water cooled I got sitting here.:D

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
So ya never ever tried the 48 tooth? I have a 49 tooth saved for my water cooled I got sitting here.:D
Oh sure goat Ill be your crash test dummy haha. Like I said Ive got a small sprocket but I dont see a need for it (yet). Speaking of racing though, one really nice thing you sort of alluded too about the Morini, is its efficiency.

Not fuel efficiency by any means, but race efficiency. At 50cc its very light in weight and very high in power. Yet it needs no transmission, which makes its extremely ideal at putting the most specific power to the ground. In automobiles the rule of thumb is usually 15% loss for of power to go through an automatic trans. Now I realize that does not mean that is the case with a motorized bike trans. Yet it must be a factor.