Gear wobble/oscillation

GoldenMotor.com

Fishermanblues

Aug 24, 2008
Tucson Az
Hi everybody, I'm new around here but I have been lurking for months while I was waiting for my bike to be ready. I noticed a whine/squeaking noise while I was riding with the clutch engaged, so i tried adjusting the clutch by changing the cable/arm adjustment, this didn't fix the problem. So next I took off the clutch cover to see if adjusting the clutch with the flower nut would fix the problem. However with the clutch cover off I noticed that the large gear is higher at one edge than the other, causing it to wobble when the bike is pushed with the clutch disengaged. I then took the bike on a ride without the clutch cover on to see if it would wobble when the clutch was engaged, and it did. I then proceeded to remove the clutch plate to see if that would fix the problem, but it still wobbles even with no clutch plate.

Is gear wobble like this normal? Would it cause the whine that I hear when I ride with the clutch engaged? Will it make my clutch wear out faster?

Any help or suggestions of what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Hi everybody, I'm new around here but I have been lurking for months while I was waiting for my bike to be ready. I noticed a whine/squeaking noise while I was riding with the clutch engaged, so i tried adjusting the clutch by changing the cable/arm adjustment, this didn't fix the problem. So next I took off the clutch cover to see if adjusting the clutch with the flower nut would fix the problem. However with the clutch cover off I noticed that the large gear is higher at one edge than the other, causing it to wobble when the bike is pushed with the clutch disengaged. I then took the bike on a ride without the clutch cover on to see if it would wobble when the clutch was engaged, and it did. I then proceeded to remove the clutch plate to see if that would fix the problem, but it still wobbles even with no clutch plate.

Is gear wobble like this normal? Would it cause the whine that I hear when I ride with the clutch engaged? Will it make my clutch wear out faster?

Any help or suggestions of what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

whine/squeaking your hearing Is the cheap China Gears.

You can try different Things ..Gluing Mouse Pads Over the cover .
But
One of the best easy fix i do is .It wont fix in Completely BUT you will hear a noticeable improvement.

Here at Blue-Collar ..We call it a clutch Muffler :D

Take the 5 screws off the clutch cover Lay on a cardboard box.
Trace the outside of the Clutch cover and cut the inside of your trace.
Place inside And tighten all hardware. It will not do any damage or soak up grease from gears.
I have been doing this for over 6 years with pretty good results.
What your doing is taking up space the gears have to amplify the gear sound.
Sort of like A drummer Putting a pillow in a drum head.

Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

Attachments

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
whine/squeaking your hearing Is the cheap China Gears.

You can try different Things ..Gluing Mouse Pads Over the cover .
But
One of the best easy fix i do is .It wont fix in Completely BUT you will hear a noticeable improvement.

Here at Blue-Collar ..We call it a clutch Muffler :D

Take the 5 screws off the clutch cover Lay on a cardboard box.
Trace the outside of the Clutch cover and cut the inside of your trace.
Place inside And tighten all hardware. It will not do any damage or soak up grease from gears.
I have been doing this for over 6 years with pretty good results.
What your doing is taking up space the gears have to amplify the gear sound.
Sort of like A drummer Putting a pillow in a drum head.

Hope this helps.

Bob

BlueCollarBike
I tried that inside noise damper. My clutch rubbed.
It damaged my clutch pads.
It is much safer to glue carpeting, or ghost0,s material to the ourside of the cover.

Also glue some one inch long pieces of fan belt or old sparkplug wire between the cooling fins. It does wonders for noise reduction.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I tried that inside noise damper. My clutch rubbed.
It damaged my clutch pads.
It is much safer to glue carpeting, or ghost0,s material to the ourside of the cover.

Also glue some one inch long pieces of fan belt or old sparkplug wire between the cooling fins. It does wonders for noise reduction.
http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f4/2289d1220357091-gear-wobble-oscillation-clutch-cover-2.jpg

Very hard to believe to say the least.:rolleyes:

Simple paper ( cardboard) destroying clutch material ?
I have used a single piece of Cardboard In ALL my builds for over 6 years now.
( believe me I have built allot of bikes)
I have had not one Show ANY sign of any problem using the Cardboard I( paper) on the inside of the Clutch housing
Using Card board is the simplest easiest Most effective way i have found thus far to cutting down on Clutch noise chatter.
You can see by the Picture the amount of clutch surface to housing interference.Its almost Nothing.
You may want to review your clutch ,,,There may be more going on if your saying A single piece of cardboard ( paper) has damaged the Ht clutch.

cheers:)

Bob

Attachments

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I was not being clear .
I did not use cardboard.
I used a plastic material coroplast
There was not enough room in the housing for the clutch and the coro.
Your photo shows the clutch is contacting the cardboard material.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I was not being clear .
I did not use cardboard.
I used a plastic material coroplast
There was not enough room in the housing for the clutch and the coro.
Your photo shows the clutch is contacting the cardboard material.
Ahh.

Now it makes sense.;)

Yes the cardboard ( corrugated paper clutch muffler ) will come in contact with the Steal clutch plate ,it will simple squeeze the Cardboard making A permanent harmless impression.
the Steal Clutch plate will have absolutely no ill effect

so no worries.
As you can see by the Picture that is the worst that will happen in a 4 year period.
Again the Cardboard ( Clutch muffler ) is the easiest and simplest solutation to effectively decrease the clutch squeal.
hope this helps

FisherMan welcome to the fourm.
cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

Fishermanblues

Aug 24, 2008
Tucson Az
Thanks for all the tips, I will give the cardboard a try. However I'm still worried that the wobbling gear might cause issues, I don't think that it engages evenly with the clutch. I'm having some problems adjusting my clutch; it slips when I try to engage it when starting, but it also rubs when I lock the clutch with the little pin on the handle bar. I have tried cleaning the clutch plate and the "pucks" with brake cleaner and I have tried adjusting the clutch many times, but to make the rubbing go away makes it slip all the time and to make the slipping go away makes it rub all the time. I have reached as close to a compromise between the two as I can, but it still doesn't seem right.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for all the tips, I will give the cardboard a try. However I'm still worried that the wobbling gear might cause issues, I don't think that it engages evenly with the clutch. I'm having some problems adjusting my clutch; it slips when I try to engage it when starting, but it also rubs when I lock the clutch with the little pin on the handle bar. I have tried cleaning the clutch plate and the "pucks" with brake cleaner and I have tried adjusting the clutch many times, but to make the rubbing go away makes it slip all the time and to make the slipping go away makes it rub all the time. I have reached as close to a compromise between the two as I can, but it still doesn't seem right.

I have seen many kits squeal during the break-in Period.
You have to take into consideration these are mass produced products.
The small clutch disks Have a very good chance of NOT being the same Size, this may be the problem your describing.
If there is no metal grinding And all parts are there and installed correctly It may get better as the pads wear in.
eventually becoming the same size.
Again without seeing it first hand this is pure speculation.
hope this helps

BLueCollarBob

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I'd like to know about that large gear "wobbling" too, I noticed today while inspecting the clutch pucks the same wobbling of the large gear, I think that's where all the "ching a ling" sounds come from on my engine.. where did you get your engine and what size is it...?.

ahale

Aug 26, 2010
Vermont
I just dabbed the smallest amount of chassis grease on the small crankshaft cog and got a great reduction in chatter from that area. I ran it for a minute without the clutch cover on so it wouldn't fling grease inside the cover, and wiped off the excess. I also have a big pad of plastic glued to the outside of the cover. It's the sound deadening stuff used inside car doors. Why that cover is designed like a drum head is a travesty.

Silence is the best stealth.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the gears should go around w/out wooble same as a bike wheel,,,,dissasembled down to the clutch pucks ,does the center shaft wooble or spin corectly like a straight pencil and noe the plate in the back of the large gear,does it spin flat,if not,we may have a not properly seated rear flywheel if the shaft spins straight and the rear plate woobles