Newbee Morini thread.

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I know there is a great deal to read and I will.

I can see that a second build is needed because simply put the ladies want to ride and I want to ride w/ladies :) Dirty old man talking here.

So I looked up the Morini and I see that the motors looks way over legal size for California.

So I think the best one for a second build seems to be this one FM002901 on this Page

Now I know next to nothing but I see a bigger bike working for me as I used to ride the Gary Fisher and it was a really tall bike.

So if I build a second build and go with Morini what engine will be the reasonable choice for a heavy man who adores distance riding. This is about a long safe ride with some hill climbing power.

I appreciate your time and yes I will read into this forum better.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Morini's are very rebuildable. They don't chrome plate the bores, the cylinders are iron or sleeved. They (Morini and others) make replacement oversized pistons for overhauls. Gasket sets on eBay for instance as well as all the parts. Pistons usually less expensive than the dealers sites, too.

Morini Motors came on a lot of different manufacturers, like around 10 different bike makers like KTM and LEM, Italjet, Aprilia and many more. Reports of over 10,000 miles are common without rebuild.

Morini Franco USA Is a good place to start. Much can be learned from this site. Herdan has what motors are available for less than most dealers but the range is limited. Many show up on eBay so there's that option, too.

Some look big but for the most part they are 50cc and legal. It's just amazing how much power they can make from 50cc so they don't have to go bigger.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
To be a moped in CA, the bike must have pedals, be under 2HP and not able to travel at speeds above 30mph.

To be motoredcycle in CA, the eng must be smaller than 150cc (149cc or less).

The Morini has more than 2HP, but in terms of 'legal size', you have no worries. At 49CC, it is smaller than most of the China motors.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Sounds good. I have my wish list going but I admit I am still working on the China Girl on a Giant Boulder bike.

I have found the reason for the dieseling; Dead air flow.

The Boulder does a fine job of deflecting the air flow around the center of the frame.
I'll need air scoops I'm thinking or that motor will not last.

I have bookmarked the links and I will look and see if I can afford the second build shortly.

The fact that women like it and want to ride too with me makes a second build worth while :) Now if she will clean and cook the fish when we camp well all the better.

Thank You for your time to reply.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
CLEAN and COOK anything! not in the usa. unless she eat's it all! heck anywhere the internet is good luck. i guess if you pay'em you can git'er done. anyhow morini's are works of art compaired to the HT. but the HF motors look fantastic and hopped up seems like they might be the future low buck racers. HF=$79 morini =$500 both need extra's. its all fun if you like building thing's and it's alot cheeper than golf or crack! good luck dennis

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I don't think they're too worried about the 2 horsepower thing in Cali. BoXeRs are made there and they use S6S motors...9.4 Horsepowerxct2

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
DaveC i was at willow and got a good look at the boxers, they run the back half of the chamber through the frame[conected with a hose] and exiting out the front down tube. really nice and quiet. i'm saying this because maybe this might solve your exhaust head pipe problem, use a flange and hose to your frame as a down or up header then come back out to your chamber like useing your frame as part of your header. just a thought that might you out. later bro.. dennis

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Are you sure that Morini Motors don't chrome plate their bores? I ask this because I just bought a S6S 9.4 and I also upgraded with a big bore kit. The guy doing the bore said after he is done boring it out, he will have to send it out to have the cylinder cavity chromed. With this done, I will be about 14 to 15 hp. Just curious.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Are you sure that Morini Motors don't chrome plate their bores? I ask this because I just bought a S6S 9.4 and I also upgraded with a big bore kit. The guy doing the bore said after he is done boring it out, he will have to send it out to have the cylinder cavity chromed. With this done, I will be about 14 to 15 hp. Just curious.
I have yet to take apart my 5.8 or my 9.4 . I have never been inside mine. I checked my 5.8 a long time ago and I could get a magnet to stick through the exhaust port. I would say they are still chrome lined?

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Bah, now I have to find out which have an iron bore from those that don't. :(

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
if they sell oversize piston's +10, +20 the chrome would be deeper than that, i guess you'd have to re-sleeve, big bore IDK what they do

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The pistons go up in .5mm intervals. I think someone like Wiseco pistons would have the range of sizes and what bikes can be bored. Factory pistons cost $100 a pop. I think the Wiseco pistons are about $60.

All I know for sure is my S5E is iron and has pistons available for several rebuilds.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I just found out today that the S6C, S6S, and S6T have aluminum manifolds and need to be sleeved. The S6E had a steel manifold and does not need to be sleeved.

Good information!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
wiseco used to sell the piston, rings,wristpin circlips and the small end bearing as a kit together and the pistons were forged! cheeper than the oe piston. [forged pistons require more clearance]

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Alright, lets talk about me stepping up to a morini.

China Girl has clunked at 725 miles. It was a painted motor and got hot and such.. So I will not even bother with rebuilding unless it's something simple and then I will trade it off or put it on a lessor bike for a friend ride.

So since I am all of three months into this new hobby may I lean on your experienced friends?

I think Morini is quality from what I read.

So if you will. I am taking suggestions for a Morini and I don't know enough to decide without some help from my MaB friends.

I'm not as disappointed with the china failure @ 725 miles since I like distance rides and it has never broke down on me where I was stranded. So good things to say about that motor and the rides.

I'll be checking in and I appreciate the hand holding on my noob-ness about the MaB engines.