Mechsmoto's 9.4 Morini build

GoldenMotor.com

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Hello all! Im new to the forum but not new to bikes. Ive been building and repairing scooters, dirtbikes, and atvs my whole life. Ive built tons of 70-124cc polini, malossi, and metrakit engines for scooters that have run sub 9 sec and a few sub 8 sec 1/8th mile rockets!!(sub 8s is around 600cc crotch rocket acceleration for those that might not know) Soooo, my next project just HAD to be a morini on a bicycle!!! mmmwwuuahhahah ahhaha!!! Anyway, most of the work is already complete... but wanted to post pics and a thread so that others might see its not too terribly difficult to have one of these lil beasts IF you can gather up the cash, some patience, and a lil creativity>>> you might just be all set!!!

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
I bought an older schwinn bicycle that was in good shape for the build.(pawnshop $50... chromoly 20" frame). I then ordered my exhaust and engine mounts from dean @pipelyne.... as i knew it would take some time for the exhaust to be built. I then ordered the 415 chain, and manic mechanic adapter and sprocket, and the morini engine from justin @pirate cycles. The 1/4 pull throttle and kill switch from franco morini usa(I DO NOT LIKE THE THROTTLE CABLE ASSEMBLY(it sticks even with tons of grease)... wish i would have ordered the domino assembly form justin)

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Everything arrived with the exception of the engine mounts and exhaust. Soooo, i (not having any patience) decided id build the engine mounts myself in the meantime. I mean ****, if it went wrong i had a custom set on the way from dean... ??? lol!! Turned out rather well.. simple, but funtional, and not god awful giant hunks of square metal!!! Heres some pics.. i know you've been waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Ok, so why the offset on the engine mount??? CHAIN ALIGNMENT. Why is the engine mounted so high?? I want to still be able to use the pedals without modifying the crank... I understand Im losing power, and the fellas will be sweatin a lil.. but I LIKE IT, its MY build and i can do what i want!! LMAO!!

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Alright guys, ignition, gas tank, throttle, and kill switches all set up. We pretty much have a working machine at this point. Still waiting for the exhaust from pipelyne... i hope sooooon?????? The michelin stuff has been ordered as you can see the back tire is flat. Also, the kmc chain and 1/2 link are on the way from pirate cycles as i made a mistake earlier in the thread.. stating that i had ordered the sprocket from pirate. When in fact, i had ordered it from bikeberry(their chain is very poor in my opinion..)... Anything you can order from pirate cycles.. I'd say they are your best bet. They have multiple selections on the manic mechanic wheel hub adapter, as well as the wheels to fit it. IMPORTANT!! Measure your hub to as close to exact measurements as humanely possible. IF its just a lil off .. FORGET ABOUT IT!! ORDER THE WHEELS FROM PIRATE!! I learned this the hard way as i had to search the whole freakin universe for a 30mm rear hub body(shimano deore>> but only one of many of those was actually 30mm... all the rest were 29mm as was my original hub) enough of my jibber jabber... pics!!!!

Attachments

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
So, there you have it a 360 degree view! Im pretty proud of it... i dont exactly LOVE the gas tank tho, i like the idea of the floating tank, and that from front and back view it looks like those lil pouches the guys carry in that spot on alot of bikes. PLEASE post some replies!!! ID LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK????????? I see tons of people have checked it out but nothing ... tell me it sucks!! anything!! lol!!! all critics welcome!!! questions??? whatever... thanks guys.. take care!! Really hope that exhaust gets shipped out soooooon!!!! Cant wait to see how it runs!!!!!!dnut

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I know you have your mounts made already, but I really think you need to get that motor forward and down some. It would give you room for an aircleaner, would hopefully allow you to give some support to the front of the motor and would greatly improve the center of gravity.

These little motors have a lot of power, so make sure you're bolted in good and tight BEFORE you take it out for a spin. I wouldn't want to be on the bike if the chain comes off at speed.

Also, if you switch to moped style hubs, you don't need to offset the motor as the drive chain offset is just right.

Rich

ps let me know if your pipe falls thru, I have a spare Morini pipe from Pipelyne that I won't be using anymore.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You've got skills, bro! You make it seem so simple.

I have a silly question. How do you know that the pipe will fit with the engine in that position?

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Awesome!!.. some replies!

Will the exhaust fit?? Cant say i'm certain on that.... but, by putting the motor in the position its in I left as much space as posible to manuever the exhaust and find a fit... I may need to make some changes.. wont know for sure until the pipe arrives.

itchybird... how much for the exhaust you have?? is it in good shape?? The engine is mounted high i agree. However, i want to be able to use the pedals without mods at the moment. When I start building the motor for performance... I will more than likely lower it. Even with the highplacement the bike is comfortable to ride under pedal power. Im trying to order a 56T sprocket from pirate at the moment as i know 40T 0n 700's is wwwaaayyy to much top speed... may even need to go to a 62T.. I may take your advice as far as taking advantage of the 4th engine mount?? I can shake the bike around violently by the motor the way it is and its rock solid... i can stand on it without fear... do you really think the 4th mount is necessary?? or overkill...??

Thanks for the thoughts, and questions... PLEASE keep them coming!!!! thanks guys... take care!!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Looks fine. My only thought was what happens if you hit some rough spots with those narrow tires? I like being able to dive off the road if necessary.
By the way how much power did the moped motors make that you messed with?

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
As for motor placement, my goal was to put my motor in the basement -as low as I could get it. That meant a tiny front sprocket, bending crank arms, and little room to fit a pipe, but those are the tradeoffs. Every build is unique, whats right to one guy is wrong to somebody else...

Pipes are tough for the Morini motors, there are no off-the-shelf solutions, but when it comes to custom builds there are no one-size-fits-all solutions either. The pipe I have to sell is $75. I can sell you a heavy guage Morini flange -the key piece needed if you go with a custom pipe for $10.

I wanted a killer pipe, so I had to make my own, actually I modified a KTM 50CC pipe to fit. It is surprising how many hours you can put into a pipe, even if you start with a good donor pipe, but if you are looking for short cuts, you picked the wrong motor.

Rich

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well me being the 200+ pound guy man handling my ride. I was never really worried about a 19 to 20 pound motor. Ha Ha:D http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f47/30723d1289064313-dave31-scsw-boxer-morini-clutch-004.jpg

I use my bikes like a work truck tho. I have always done this... http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f3/28652d1283392806-cargo-004.jpg
http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f3/28653d1283392817-cargo-003.jpg

I don't do any silly stunt work. No ramping etc. I am just a pedestrian for the most part.;)

As for your currant motor mounts. I say no way. Not solid enough for a Morini or a China. http://motorbicycling.com/f6/rubber-not-27364.html

The clam-shell adapter is way better than a rag joint for this motor in my opinion. That's good. The skinny tires will make a very fast bike with no drag. I don't think I would trust them myself. I feel safer on bigger rubber.

You are going to find out you want good brakes too.

http://motorbicycling.com/f53/rear-wheel-your-mb-strong-enough-23371.html This might be a good read.

As for mounting the motor wait till all the pieces to your puzzle are in front of you before you start.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Also as somebody else here said the Morini is no short cut style install. Its almost better for a guy to learn and go through his denial and learning curve with a China kit. Everything you do needs to be top notch absolutely solid for this to work.

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Excellent!! More input!!! thats two NOs to my mounts now... they are very strong... i assure you!! In scooters that ive built with Mid to high teens(a/c) in horsepower their only mounts were one bolt and one shock??? The smaller plates are 5/16" two attaching to the frame and a third soley to support the 5/16" bolt on the outside... the middle plates are 3/8"!! thats almost a half inch thick X 3 again. The motor only weighs 18lbs.. the whole bike 40lbs.. i just cant see using 10lbs of metal to hold the engine.. the frame is chromoly. I do have a set of mounts on order from Dean @pipelyne along with my exhaust. So, I promise IF the ones he sends me are THAT much beefier... I will use his>> lol!! I REALLY appreciate your concern for safety though.

NOW the tires!!!! Ive been waiting for that to come up. I know they are 700 rims.. and that probably scares the **** out of most of you... me too IFFF im honest.. lol!!! But, wait... I took the rear wheel to the nicest shop we have here in miami(all 4 cycling) where they sell literally $7000 bicycles and explained to them my plan for this build. They built me my wheel to suit... So, i have to say yes the wheel is solid enough. THE TIRES(sorry i got sidetracked) will be michelin pilot sport 700x35c tires, mounted on michelin tubes... the pilot sports tires have 5 layers of protection(same as high dollar racing bicycle tires). Sooo, while i cant say that they are inpenetrable.. they will be as close to that as possible... IF they fail... its gonna be a wild ridexct2

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
The brakes... while they are stock.. and on a schwinn.. the donor schwinn does happen to be a 1995 100th year anniversary addition, made in taiwann (not china yet)... the frame is chromoly, and the brakes are shimano altus slr, with shimano M55T for aluminum wet/dry pads. Definitely not disc .. but itll still do indos!!!(stop on the front wheel only). Ive been riding my whole guys .. were gonna have fun on the videos ... and its only 50cc right now... wait till the big bore... and porting... and boost??!!! mmmwwuuaahhahahahahah!!!! maybe not boost... but it will rrrrriiiiiiiippppppp!!!!!!!! just wait!!!!

side thought??? IFF a new corvette they made a couple years ago came stock with a 405hp engine, weighed roughly 3000lbs.. and ran a 12 sec 1/4 mile with a power to weight of roughly 7.5lbs to 1 hp.... My 05 gsxr 1000 has 178hp weighs 360lbs... its power to weight is roughly @ 2lbs.. to 1hp... and runs sub 10secs 1/4 miles.... WHAT THEN will a 40lb bicycle with a 20hp engine and power to weight of 2:1 run the 1/8th mile in????.wee.

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
I said before Id stand on this engine without fear... here are some pics... I weigh 150lbs... stand on a china girl. I did build two of those lil bikes just so id know what would be needed for a build like this. I worked a solid two days (40hrs) on this build to get it to what you see in the pics. I had been measuring and planning for a month before the parts even arrived. It's extremely hard work ... and I mean in no way shape or form to belittle or try to compete with the amazing works of art that inspired me to do this build that have already been posted here. I am a gear head.. speed .. speed... fabricating is not my expertise.. but, i greatly respect it.. and LOVE to try my hands at it.!!! Still cant wait to fire this thing up.. !!! Thanks for all your comments so far.. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!! here are those pics.....

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i made my pipe from a kx 65 pipe, very ez to make fit. just one cut and rotate a few deg. weld back up. the pipe makes the morini, the bigger the better.
Just curious have you tried any of the other pipes or the 5.8 H.P. Morini? In the next few days I will have a new 9.4 build springing up. Rated at ten plus H.P.