The mule runs!

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Put the finishing touches on the Trek Iguana/mule tonight and took it out for a spin. It's kind of amazing how well a build goes after you've done one. :D
Tooled around the neighborhood a bit until it started getting dark and I my hands started to freeze without one single issue. The engine can be kick started (can't do that on my Cranny) and other then being unbearably slow with the stock 44T sprocket, a vibration at the top end (gonna have to balance this crank too) and gutless with the stock pipe all in all it runs pretty well.

One thing I did notice was how in the heck do you guys ride motorized MTBs? This thing is uncomfortable as all get out and my butt really misses full suspension. laff

Oh yea, to whomever I told that a motor should fit in an Iguana, yea it does but BARELY! I actually have to have the carb turned about 10º to the right so the throttle cable clears the top tube.

Attachments

Roach

Sep 16, 2010
wisconsin
That looks great. But I'd change seats. Just because it's a mountain bike don't mean you have to torture your butt. And you could probably pick up a cheap shock absorber fork on ebay.

Personally I think MBs are great platforms cause they are built tough but they are not really mountain bikes anymore. I wouldn't trust it on trails. Too many parts to fail under rough handling. Nice on a dirt road or level trail but not the really rough stuff.

So if it's mostly a road bike you might as well make it comfy. Softer seat, sprung fork, and a lower seating position to take some weight off your hands.

just my 2¢ worth, but I really like your bike.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That's the thing, I have 3 shock absorber forks from bikes I've stripped but that would mean changing out the forks. I have a springy seat but that would mean changing the seat this has a weird seatpost that has an integrated seat clamp. If I'd planned on keeping this motor on this bike I probably would do all those things but this is just a bike to test this motor (and possibly future motors) before I build my stretch frame that this motor is going into.

One thing to note if anyone else is thinking about going with this vintage of a Trek frame, the shifters are part of the brake levers so unless you want to change to some other kind of shifter a double pull brake lever is a no-go.