new and have a few questions :P

GoldenMotor.com

kzbesner

Jul 26, 2010
Ottawa Ontario
hello all,
i am 16 and just bought a motorized bike from a garage sale.
its an old bike that's falling apart and im wanting to do an engine transplant hopefully onto a chopper bike...
the one problem is, i am not very mechanically inclined and my father seems to have no time for my foolish dreams :p

ive read through a few posts already but have had some difficulties understanding how you would mount the engine onto the frame. if anyone is able to stoop it down to my level of understanding, that'd be great, if not, does anyone have any links to plans or pictures that i can follow?

also, i am constantly looking to make modifications to the bike to help the performance..soo far, ive taken off the cap of the muffler and that was pretty fun but was short lived due to the neighbors and a cop call :S

thank you all for you're help :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the frame is different than the current bike, you may have a few small hurdle to leap. What kind of "chopper bike"? There have been several OCC and West Coast chopper bikes built. If you type that in the google search at the top of the page, you will see the builds. Feel free to ask questions, as none are viewed as stupid!

Removing muffler end cap= bad news.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but if I could make a suggestion it would be for you to choose a better bike for mounting an engine to for your first one. That chopper style is going to take some work and ingenuity and you have freely admitted that your skills are limited. You might want to start with an easier biuild first and 'get your feet wet' so to speak and gain some fabrication experience before embarking on a chopper build. That way you'll become more familiar with the engines, drive systems and other important factors needed to build a reliable and good running bike. After you master the basics then move on to the more advanced build. You'll have less frustrations and more chance of success. Let us know how you're doing and if we can help in any way.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It is a challenge to get a motor on that style bike, not just mounting the motor but also that the rear tire is so wide as to get in the way for the engine's drive chain...

Still, if you've access to welding equipment and/or a buddy that can do it for ya - I'm particularly fond of Russell's elegantly simple solution: http://motorbicycling.com/f3/integrated-motor-mount-jack-shaft-12284.html

If you've no access to welding... then yea, might wanna put that choppa on hold for now untill ya do ;)

Chopperdude4

Dec 26, 2009
NC
hey dude, I'm 15 and i finished my first build about 2 months ago and it was the OCC bike. yeah it is a challenge but you learn by doing. I tried making the mount but that didn't go well,(it's really hard to get the right angles), so I bought one off of ebay from Berry Wallace. he's very good. just go on ebay and search occ bicycle.
hope this helps. have fun building!

kzbesner

Jul 26, 2010
Ottawa Ontario
thank you all.
i will look into the ebay guy.
for the welding, i do have access to welding, but am not entirely sure how that person had mounted his motor on.
i am considering another bike with a regular triangle frame that will fit my engine easily without problems.
thank you all for your help and advice soo far.