Fort Collins, Colorado Riders

GoldenMotor.com

budoboy

Jun 7, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
Hey All,

I am gaining interest in motorizing my bike and was wondering if folks from Fort Collins can chime in on any legal issues with riding a motorized bike in town.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ive been riding in town for quite a while now....i've only had one problem with the police but i did run that red light on howes.....just have a good light and obey the traffic laws....in co your motorized bike is considered a bicycle do to the fact that your primary power sorce is you peddles....ive never run into an issue with them questioning the legality of the motor....now if you want to be extra cautious drive up to the sherrif's station on midpoint drive and pay 5.25 to them to register as an exercise bike....sounds stupid but if it is over 49cc its part of an obscure law....i think this is changing as of july 1st this year rendering the old law obsolete

....mb's in foco whoohoodance1

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
man i hope i turned you on to this...ive been happily riding for years...i got a black cruiser with a china girl 2 stroke....im a long haired motoring freak

come on and ride
its like being the coolest 12 year old on earth
matt

Last edited:

budoboy

Jun 7, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
NoCo,

Did you have the sticker on your bike when you got stopped (after running the red light)? I have looked at the form for that sticker and it says that you have to put an identification number for the bike on the form. Do you know what I would use for that?

I would be riding along the West edge of town for the most part since I would be riding the bike to work. I live near Horsetooth and Taft Hill and work up near College and Willox. I try to skirt the edge of town anyway cause it's just a little faster than going up College Ave..

Do you ride pretty much anywhere in town, or do you avoid certain areas?

-Bryan

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
GET ONE! I'm from Denver but yea, I ride mine all over town. The only streets I really try to avoid are were the speed limit is 45 or more. I use broadway all the time, see cops everyday and never get hassled. Just follow the rules and you'll be okay. For some added comfort read my thread " O.k. to ride in Colorado" further down in laws and leg.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never had a problem with my bikes or my trike. I was making a beer run this past weekend with the trike, full of Corona, and had a Jefferson County Sheriff smile and wave. Same for the bikes. Like the man said; "obey the traffic laws" and keep it quiet. The Colorado laws are so confusing even the cops don't understand them. Ride with common sense and you'll be just fine.
Tom

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
bryan i personally dont have the sticker but they have never questioned me about it anyways....i live up by colledge and wilox and i've never had a problem up here...i ride everywhere in town including the bike paths....i kill the motor and coast by people when i approach them....youll have a nice ride to and from work....i personally frequent the rope swing just east of the shields bridge in the summer....i would advise you to build your bike and if you run into any problems give me a call ill come help you out 508-523-3386

matt

wow how did i spell college....looks like i got to go back to school....well at least 5th grade

budoboy

Jun 7, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for the replies. I figured if you abide by the bicycling rules of the road, you would be fine to ride.

Now i just have to decide on a kit to install.

-Bryan

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
He for all of ya'll I just got my Motorized bicycle registered thru Colorado. The sticker I was just issued is for a motorized bycycle not a scooter By colorado and it expires in 3 years. so I guess we can legally register them and not have to worry

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
I just gave them the serial # off the crank housing on the bicycle, I also sent in a low powered scooter application, a statement of fact form explaining the home build and a money order for 5.25. The shocking part again is that the sticker says motorized bicycle not scooter. I still havent figure out if I need insurenace or no since it is now liscenced under a motorized bicycle and not as a scooter. as on july 1 you have to have liability on scooters. all the form are avaliable off the colorado state web site.

At least now I know for sure i am leagl out here in sterling.... good luck

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
I just did the # below the peddles, I submited it on a Scooter application, a statement of fact on its origins as a homebuild, 5.25 cent money order, and a copy of MY Co DL.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I am sure the Government of Colorado enjoys you registering your bicycle as a motorized bike. Which it is not. The Colorado Government will take the money. They will take all the money they can get and they will spend it before they get it. My problem is not only with that, but your bicycle is not motorized.. Unless you took your pedals off or you have a assist motor larger than 50cc. If you can pedal, and your motor is less than 50cc, then you do not have a motorized bike at all. You have a motor Assisted bicycle. A bicycle.. And bicycles do not need to be registered.. Not yet.. But.. That is coming.. If there is money to be had by government, then.... Get ready.. It is coming... Also.. By you badging your bicycle with a sticker like that is putting a lable of motorized on it. This is a bad sign. This is chainging the definition of your bicycle from motor assisted bicycle to motorized, and not good...

Last edited:

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
I see your point but, Honestly I just want to be legal as do we all. From my stand point spending $5.25 for three year gives me alot of peace of mind. I am by no means telling anyone to follow my lead I just wanted to let everone know there is a way to register it.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
the sticker you were supposed to get for these bikes is for an exercise bike......hey next month there is not going to be a definition of a motorized bike anyways.....you got the sticker for 7 days of legal riding cause after that it does not matter

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
True I have been aurging this with a lady at the motor vehicle registation for the last few days and can get he to give me a simple anwser yes are no as far as bike legalities.
her last reply was well if I think it does not meet criteria for a scooter was to teat the sticker off. This was after this post
>>> Christopher Gassaway 6/23/2010 2:53 PM >>>

Thanks for the reply. But what I am looking for is which defenition does a Motor assisted bicycle fall under. If the Engine is off its a Bicycle per CRS (human power) and by Defenition of the same CRS a bicycle is not a scooter. In 48.5) (a) "Low-power scooter" means a self-propelled vehicle however a motor assisted bicycle in not solely self propelled.

I have asked several local police and no one can give me an anwser on his one.

Based on this is it a bicycle or scooter?

Thanks for your time and consideration in this matter

Chad Gassaway

Here is the contact email to ask them questions about this is anyone is interested
[email protected]

budoboy

Jun 7, 2010
Fort Collins, CO
I would have to agree with ThatsDax on this one. Although the response I got back from the State DMV was kind of cryptic. Below is the entire correspondence:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: I am looking into buying a motor assisted bicycle. Since it has pedals and is not a low-powered scooter by definition, does it still need to be registered in the state of Colorado?

Lyndsay from the DMV: No, this would not be registered. However, it will not be allowed on public roadways because it is not considered to be roadworthy. You will need to see what city ordinance is to see where you can ride it. Thank you for contacting the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 303-205-5608.

Me: It would not be roadworthy even if it is basically just a bicycle(pedaling is its primary mode of propulsion)?

Could it be made roadworthy by adding:

Proof of Insurance
Forward facing light visible from 500 feet away
Rear facing reflector or lamp. A reflector must be visible from as far as 300 feet away. A lamp must be visible from 500 feet away
Must have a horn or audio device that can be heard from 100 feet away
An affixed brake that would skid if used on a dry surface

Lyndsay from DMV: No, to be considered road worthy it has to fit the statutory definition of motor vehicle. Which is “Motor vehicle” means any self-propelled vehicle that is designed primarily for travel on the public highways and is generally and commonly used to transport persons and property over the public highways, including trailers, semi trailers, and trailer coaches, without motive power. “Motor vehicle” does not include the following: (a) A low-power scooter, as defined in section 42-1-102

Me: So, if Fort Collins allows it, I may be able to ride it in the bike lanes through town? I wouldn’t however be able to ride it anywhere there are not bike lanes?

Lyndsay: Yes, you will need to check with city ordinance though. Many cities make exception Fort Collins may be one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So if the definition of a low-powered scooter does not technically include a motor assisted bicycle then she basically told me information that was not relevant, correct?

-Bryan

Last edited: