hoot gearbox oil level?

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
when i got my kit it had alot of oil in the gearbox, i filled it up through the filler, but the clutch slips bad!

im going to drain all the oil out when i get home because im sure this is why its slipping, exactly what amount should i put in there from empty? thanks!

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
when i got my kit it had alot of oil in the gearbox, i filled it up through the filler, but the clutch slips bad!

im going to drain all the oil out when i get home because im sure this is why its slipping, exactly what amount should i put in there from empty? thanks!
the Hoot gearbox is similiar to the Grubee 4 stroke box and most users who are having
success with it are using grease.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
the Hoot gearbox is similiar to the Grubee 4 stroke box and most users who are having
ok i went and got some grease, i soaked it with break cleaner to clean it up, then i loaded it with grease! i got white lithium grease, so hopefully its good, im out to ride it now,

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Apparently there are two completely different Hoot boxes, one with chain and one with gears. The gear version definitely uses grease but if the chain version has a filler it probably requires oil. To add to the confusion there are Grubee with a belt. It would be nice if someone around here actually had some credible info on these.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It would be nice if someone around here actually had some credible info on these.
Yes, like maybe the seller?

What do the instructions say?
What does the dealer say? If he is offering a warranty, I would only hope he would know.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am assuming it's a gear box, and not a chain reduction, yes?
There is a filler plug, right? No dip stick? Nothing in the instructions about type or amount of lubricant?

If it has gears, one would assume from most other gearboxes of all types to use a liquid lube such as ATF (Mazda 5 speeds, for one) or 80w90 or other gear lube (most low speed gear boxes).

If it has a chain, straight 50wt or 70 wt should work.

Now about that clutch, is it supposed to be a wet clutch or a dry clutch? How can it be a dry clutch if it's in the box with all the lube, no matter what you are supposed to use?

If it is supposed to be a dry clutch and run above the oil level, what happens when one leans the bike or climbs a hill? Could it be that this reduction unit was supposed to be used in a stationary application?

I ask these questions as an "open forum" way of figuring this out.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yes, like maybe the seller?

What do the instructions say?
What does the dealer say? If he is offering a warranty, I would only hope he would know.
A couple 4 stroke kit sellers I emailed did not respond and to be honest these guys seem to know less than the customers. 4 of the kits I bought were liquidation and no instructions. 2 were surplus from Duane and I don't think he expected me to get out of the driveway with those gearboxes. He implied as much. Anyway these things were half price and worth it just for the HS.

Most of the info and assembly instructions for these comes from this forum. Mostly warnings about slipping due to too much grease.

BTW all 4 stroke kits are centrifugal/pull start.

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
A couple 4 stroke kit sellers I emailed did not respond and to be honest these guys seem to know less than the customers. 4 of the kits I bought were liquidation and no instructions. 2 were surplus from Duane and I don't think he expected me to get out of the driveway with those gearboxes. He implied as much. Anyway these things were half price and worth it just for the HS.
i found that lithium grease was the best for not having the clutch slip but it broke down over time, i was curently testing heavy duty axle grease when i wrecked so once im better i will continue and see how that stuff holds up, but ive got my eyes open for a replacement gearbox, this one has held for now but i dont trust it

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
the EZM 'Silent Drive' is a manual (you work the clutch), it is the only manual 4cycle kit I am aware of :) (it does have a pull start tho !)
the 'Q-Matic is an auto (centi-clutch) ;)
I was not aware of the difference between those two products in terms of features and price. It is sounding better and better though as lack of manual on the current 4-stroke kits was the major drawback IMO. Can't wait to see more reviews and info.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I am sorry that I can not be of much help yet, as I have just got these engines as a new product for what I sell and the broken english from the suplier does not help. I installed one last weekend and have gone with the grease a high temp grease and sofar it has been aOK. As I read all the comments from the threads linex has posted, all I hear is bad things about the hoot and everyone has got the kid scared, I was wondering if any of you have used this product in the past and are not just going by hear say? All I read is I think and I heard comments,l surely , if they are still being supplied they can not be as bad as the dooms day senario being painted out there! That being said all your tips are very helpful in helping me to understand more about these engines and gear boxes.
Thanks

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I am sorry that I can not be of much help yet, as I have just got these engines as a new product for what I sell and the broken english from the suplier does not help. I installed one last weekend and have gone with the grease a high temp grease and sofar it has been aOK. As I read all the comments from the threads linex has posted, all I hear is bad things about the hoot and everyone has got the kid scared, I was wondering if any of you have used this product in the past and are not just going by hear say? All I read is I think and I heard comments,l surely , if they are still being supplied they can not be as bad as the dooms day senario being painted out there! That being said all your tips are very helpful in helping me to understand more about these engines and gear boxes.
Thanks
linex? what am i something that goes on a truck bed??:eek::D you should also tell them how much grease you used too, thats valuable information,

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Sorry kid I was tryping fast! I used about as much as you would put on a tooth brush, after hearing of the clutch slippage I did not want that happening, but then I read clutch slipage is normal for a centrifugal clutch and now I may use more. Who knows, there is not one similar idea going around, that is why I ask if anyone has used this gearbox. I will be honest I have not, untill last Saturday and I have over 100 of them!
Thanks

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
My hoot gearbox's failed just shy of 100 miles. I have had 2 of them. If I ever said "I think they are crap" it is because my opinion is they are crap. Sorry if that was misleading. My opinion is none of us are trying to scare anyone. We are only trying to help inform people if they come here looking for answers. It is up to the individual to take the info here and put it to use or not. Who knows, maybe the hoot has been upgraded a little in it's homeland and we don't know yet? This could be the first great success story of many to come. I doubt it and I will not use another one. However, I do wish anyone that does use it the best of luck.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
so was this before or after this fourm, did you ask for advise or just straight from the box? I have found 90% of the comments very helpful. I am having success with mine and except for a little trial and error so is linnix. What I mean is did you try this advise that is being given or did you find this after? If it is after, then really why weigh in?
Thanks

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Also do you have any pic's of your failed gear box on the insde, it would help when I talk to my supplier. I just want to help fix the problem (if there is one) not compound it. Like I said I am new to the fourm and new to the engines so nodisrespect intended. Just trying to understand!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am guilty of heresay. I have only heard (through two years of motorbiking and on-line forum activities) that "they are not good." "The chew up and spit out various metal bits." ect ect ect , but rarely ever "This thing is the shizziola."
No one was trying to scare the kid, only trying to forwarn of the more than likely problems based on past reports.

Armed with these past reports and knowledge, would you rather we all stood by and watched as a new dealer says- "Pssst, Hey kid, over here. I got the goods, it's a real beauty, and yours for only 230 bucks. I can't say much about it because I have no experience with it, but you can test one out." "Warranty? Yeah sure, but not on paper, O.K.?"

Maybe this will be the new success story of the Hooterbox? Who knows?

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Motor Boys Re: hoot gearbox oil level?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks

What is your problem? The above quote is why I responded. You asked. I can get you some pics if that will make you feel better. I wasn't new to this when I installed this to my bike. You guys have had this installed and running for what, a week and you have had success with it? Is that all it takes for a success story?

Oh! No disrespect intended, you say.