2-Tickets on my China Girl Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I got pulled over today. As I was thinking about what to say to
the officer, he said," do not say anything and listen to what I am going
to say". The first thing he pointed out was the motor. Then he said I was
the driver. Then he pointed out that I was on a cycle. I said," it is a bicycle".
That is what I said , " a cycle". First ticket and charged with violation of
classification motor driver cycle. Second ticket and charged with imprper
operation of off road motorcycle on roadway. Ended up posting $75.00
cash bond. They sure no how to take the fun out of the bicycle.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Re: 2-Tickets on my China Girl

Bummer...don't surprise me...Illinois is one of them commie states that limits big trucks to 55 like Ca. and Oh.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois

I talked to the assistant states attorney, a plea bargin of guilty as charged
would result in the violation of classification motor driver cycle would be dropped
and only the charge of improper operation of off road motorcycle on roadway would
I be charged with. The officer wins.
Other options are plead not guilty and request a judge or jury trial. I think a trial
by judge would be a bad idea. I researched some older cases with not much luck but
one case caught my attention that had nothing to do with my charges. A man was charged
with assult to a horse. The judge dismissed the case because the horse was not there to testify.
As funny as that might sound, there is some logical sense pretianing to my charges. I think
with a jury trial and bringing my horse to court ( motor assisted bicycle) that I might have
a chance at beating these charges with a jury or even the state dropping thier charges all
together and not even making it to trial. Not realy sure which way to go but at least there might be a chance of beating the charges.

lovehamr

Oct 9, 2009
GA

What does the Ill statute reguarding motor driven cycles say? Here in GA if it's 50cc and under it's a moped and basically has free reign within sensable limits. You should know the verbiage of your law before you try any court.

Steve

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado

I dont understand the 1st charge, is it that your lacking the proper endorsement on your DL? 2nd charge I fully understand, if Im right in understanding the 1st charge it seems theyre in direct conflict with one another. The 1st one accuses you of driving a m/c without proper endorsement, second charges you with driving an off road vehicle on the road with a vehicle that doesnt require a DL at all.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

fight this !!! go to court with the new Il. rules in hand . and get a laywer if u can:(
1 arguee as to what reason were you pulled over for in the first place(they have to have an infraction to sight) the cop not having something to do or that he "thinks" your in violation aren't enough .it has to be for something that the cop knows is ilegal or will (hopefully)be thrown out
2 under 50cc is only a regular DL as is and in jan 2010 you don't need that anymore.
3 arguee that in Il. there is no way to reg. a mb so they can't sight you for something they have made imposible.
4 arguee that these tickets were given under the state vec. code and that your "bicycle" is not defined as a "motor vec." in THERE reg's
we all need to band together and fight to retain the rights we have or there gone!
so please fight... and if there is any way that I can help fellow IL. rider let me know.
p.s. if you bring your bike to court, try a get some pic's , we all want to see this...

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL

#1 you need to have a copy of the IL. rules of the road and a copy of the law on bicycles wth you on hand! in IL there actually considered pedalcycles. pedalcycles is defined as a motor-assisted bicycle that has a maximum attainable speed in one mile or less of 30 mph and produces 2 brake HP or less. a moped may be operated with any valid IL driver licence. the displacement may not exceed 50cc and may not require the operator to shift gears.
if a moped is driven at night, it must have a headlight visisble from at least 500 feet and have a red reflector on the rear visible from at least 100 -600 feet.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas

I don't know the law but I would imagine if you were attempting to ride an off road MB on the streets just cause it's not street legal does not curtail the need for a license. You can drive with no tags or lights on a car and get the same ticket. I did notice the cop told you to not talk but listen...you replied it's a bike...bad move. It is real ipmortant to listen closely to what a cop asks you to do...they HATE arguing or repeating themselves. I feel pretty sure had you listened and held your piece and then ASKED "officer isn't this classified as a bike?" He would explain why it is or isn't and most likely issued you a warning ticket. Cops have a hard dangerous job we really need to be patient and respect them. I know there are some jerks but all the same it's the position not the person you respect...just my 2 cents worth.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto

I got pulled over before, cop came up just stared at me.... I asked " how can I help you officer " and he asked me if the engine was under 80cc, I said yep its 66cc... I told him the sticker that stated 66cc fell off the clutch cover b/c of heat, he said that's fine and have a nice day. 90% of my city's police are younger guys which is nice b/c they are laid back more than other cops I have met. They know I'm out riding my bike for fun not to rub it in their faces. I just keep my helmet on and abide by the traffic laws to the best of my ability. :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado

George you have a point maybe, the driving the off road vehicle on a public road violation should be sufficient to cover the offense. The other ticket if I understand correctly is that he doesnt have a m/c endorsement, right there the cop is inferring to me that he was riding a street legal m/c. Wheres the tickets for no plates, insurance, registration. Im not a lawyer here but it just seems to me the 2 tickets are contradictory of each other............the second ticket says he was driving an off road vehicle on the road which requires no DL period and he was ticketed for that. Maybe Im just seeing it differently.

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago

HI, SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SITUATION WITH THE LAW, THE ONLY THING THAT MIGHT BITE YOU IN THE BUTT ABOUT THE IL LAW, IS THAT THE NEW LAW DOES NOT TAKE AFFECT UNTIL 01/10. GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU GET OUT OF THIS WITHOUT PAYING ANYTHING..flg.

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

it all suks 4 years ago went for coffie went to jail oi it was a girl a cute one even last week coming home pulled over all nice so then the bikes in the back of the cruzer and im in cuffs diffrent girl this country i call home let the good die at the behest of sails????? and now 30 day min who knoes im not as tough as i was when i was 16 ut i was a putz then to fat girls and slow mopeds are the end of evrey resinable man dunno how itll worck out probly bad but wasent whatever the batal cry of my generation?

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland

That last post was probably deep and introspective, just not sure if I understood, exactly...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

it all suks 4 years ago went for coffie went to jail oi it was a girl a cute one even last week coming home pulled over all nice so then the bikes in the back of the cruzer and im in cuffs diffrent girl this country i call home let the good die at the behest of sails????? and now 30 day min who knoes im not as tough as i was when i was 16 ut i was a putz then to fat girls and slow mopeds are the end of evrey resinable man dunno how itll worck out probly bad but wasent whatever the batal cry of my generation?

wahtchootalkinboutwillis?
Is this a drunk post?!?

wow.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY

Either a drunk post or on a level of pure genius the like of which of which I can't quite comprehend. Priceless and a classic in it's own right.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois

I got real lucky in this situation that the expansion chamber exhaust got me into. I replaced
with stock exhaust pipe and went to them with the bicycle motor assit bicycle and got them to look at it and hear run. All charges were dropped and I now ride with no problems on the street. I learned a very valuable lesson in my area. If going the performance route keep it off the street and use for off road purposes. Iam very gratefull that I learned this lesson without paying fines and getting my bike tooken away from me. Thanks to all replies and I will now look at this great site in a totally different view with my area situations.