Huffy Crankhook?

GoldenMotor.com

TheJones

Oct 28, 2009
Delaware
I've been toying around with the idea of building my first motorized bicycle and I'm trying not to invest too much money up front. I was curious if anyone had any experience with a 'Huffy 26" Men's Huffy Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser.' I can pick one up at Walmart for less than $90 and I'm looking at starting with a 49cc engine kit to start. Would this bike work? Or can someone else suggest something fairly cheap that'd make a good first start?

Thank you.

mycam8u2

Dec 5, 2008
pennsylvania
the bike i have is a cranbrook. i suggest before motorizing u dissassemble the wheel bearings and grease them well. i got mine from wally world and they do not take much care when assembling or lubing the bikes.the only prob i had was getting the chains to sync together because it has no derailler to keep the bike chain tensed. mounting u will need to buy a bracket from sick bike parts or make your own for the front mount. i also still am only using the coaster brake which has worked fine for me so far and i have the so called 80cc/66cc. also 1 more thing is get rid of the fenders and get some plastic ones from planet bike..both my fenders broke causing me to almost crash within the 1st 2 days of riding motorized. it was not nice skidding on the back fender at 35 mph, luckily the front 1 i was only goin about 5 mph.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
The fenders (especially the front) are a weak point with the Cranbrook, but otherwise it makes a good platform for a motorized bike. I friend of mine went over the handlebars on his Cranbrook because the front fender mount broke, and he landed in the hospital for two weeks. Either make a more substantial fender mount (as some have done), dispense with the fenders altogether - beach cruiser style (as others have done) or as mycam8u2 suggested, go with the plastic ones.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That's what mine is, well that's what mine started out as.

Replaced:
Fenders, off an old Schwinn
Rear wheel, heavy duty 12 gauge spoke coaster brake. Check and GREASE the bearings like posted above!
Seat, $40 investment adds WAY more comfort.

Attachments

Last edited: