Winter Carb adjustment for HS 49CC?

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Does anyone have a suggestion at to whether the HS 49CC carburator needs to be tweeked for winter 40 degree riding? Today Silverbear and I headed out through the countryside in 44 degree temp. We have to pull a long hill and ususally do so without any trouble. I noticed I didn't seem to have my best top end and SB actually had to pedal. He is pulling Moosh (the MidMaryland 20 MPH Club mascot) behind the bike, but he has never had to pedal to help before. The bikes both run very well and we are hesitant to fiddle much with them. My 2-stroke loves the cold air, but the 4-stroke not so much. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Dan

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
On my HS I did notice a difference down in the 30's, went in a bit on the air screw, like 1/8th turn, seems better. they are real sensitive!!

Mac

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks Mac, I may give it a little bit of a turn and try it out tomorrow. The motors really run well and since I only ride for fun it isn't a big deal but I figured if both of us had the same issue someone else probably has also. Don't figure to do much riding in the 30's. Have a nice Christmas and thanks for taking time to answer. Dan

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've noticed that sometimes they seem to get too cold in the 30's and below. I use a "6" plug in mine, but thinking I might need to go back to the stock 5.

My HS takes a really long time to warm up when it's below freezing outside. Half-choke for at least a half hour.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Aleman,
I noticed having to drive for about 10 mikes with the choke just a bit off of full on, I can turn it to open early, but seems to have a dead spot I have to feather through until it warms up completely. I guess it's just the nature of the beast!

Mac

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks guys. I'll fiddle with it this weekend and see what happens. This time of year weekends are about the only time I can ride. Usually a ride is around 15 to 18 miles total, but the motor seems to warm up and be fine on the flats, it just didn't seem up to the task (as it usually is) taking on a long uphill grade. It made it without pedaling (SB didn't) but it didn't seem to want to wind up completely. Thanks again for the input. Dan