where i have been

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
iv been away from my bike for quite some time. and this isnt helping.

its a 1971 Bradley GT(1) kit car on a '71 beetle chassis.

it has a duel port engine in it. can only assume its a 1600? they guy i bought it off of had no clue whats been done to it. he purchased it from a car collection in new hampshire a few years back.

brought it home last night. took a while but got it running after a new battery and coil. i dont know how old the gas is in it but its running just the same. no brakes, parking brake lever does not lock. plate light and brake lights are the only things that work. and lastly the wheels rub on the body.

to do list:
electrical - brake lights always on, no other lights, switches in dash stuck
organize wiring
brakes
tune-up
tires
clutch cable replacement
under engine tins

completed:
oil change
brake shoe adjustments (so-so)
running state
ordered tires
parking brake

currently the car has 215-65-15s on camaro wheels. they rub the fender lips as well as the headlight buckets when turned all the way. im going to downsize a bit and install some 195-60-15s and that will hopefully fix all my clearance issues as well as get a bit more low end out of it.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Bradleys were cool. Looks like fun.
I must admit that based on the title of your post, I was hoping to hear about some crazy
bender in Mexico or the Caribbean.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is that picture from Compete Idiots Guide to VW Bugs?

I remember overhauling one that had a pressure seal brake and oil from engine got to what was a dry clutch. Pressure relief valve firmly in place did not help as it would not move.

MT

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
haha yeah. im hoping it will be a fun car. seating position is a little akward are you have to have your knee practically touching the side of the car with your foot bent more wards the center of the car to work the clutch. steering wheels in the way kinda deal. but i think it will be a fun little toy. parts for these thigns are practically as cheap as our bike engine parts.