Whats the safest amount of time can these motors run?

GoldenMotor.com

bro-die

Dec 22, 2011
guam
Ive always wondered on how long can I ride a bike using these motors on one trip. I occasionally ride about a mile or two but I never took it to the extreme. Whats the safest amount of time can I run these motors?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Once a motor is broken in, it can go pretty far. I've gone 100 miles round trip in a day. I drove 50 miles, stopped for awhile, then headed home.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
These engines can run for hundreds of hours. It doesn't matter if it is an hour at a time or non stop. Your gas tank is the limiting factor on how long at a time you can run it. And maybe your seat.

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
Vary the speed, it helps to heat cycle the engine. Check all of the bolts and torqe the head before the long ride, check it later to see what does loosen up. Bring the minimum tools for roadside repair and a plug, spare master links.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Air cooled engines can run continuously as long as there is air cooling. I've run as far as four tanks in one day stopping only to fill up. (I carrly a fuel can for long rides and turn back when half the gas is used up)

bro-die

Dec 22, 2011
guam
DAYMMMMMM!! those are some awesome replies. I had to think twice about riding far but after hearing these I think ill give it a shot. Ill ride it to work one day and its about a 15 to 20 mile gettting there and doubled when I have to go back home. Im about ready to do a night ride since I just purchased one of those cree lights from amazon. Thanks for the input. Keep those numbers coming. Im also thinking of purchasing one of those gadgets that will measure the speed and miles. wheres the best place to get them?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always thought that these stories about "only being able to run the 2-strokes for 20 minutes at a time because they'll over heat" were just anti 2-stroke propaganda that was made up by guys trying to sell their (more expensive) 4-strokes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Doug Skullery

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
it probably comes more from having a lean engine overheat or seize than sales pitches for 4 strokes.......cooled and oiled properly any engine should run till the rings or cylinder gives up the magic smoke.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
when I first got into chinagirls, I heard that 20 min at a time spiel from Roland (the old owner of Spookytooth),,,since he was in Tucson (in the Arizona desert climate, like me), I believed it,,,

I rode my 2strokes always, even when the temps were 120+, and did many 50+ mile rides,,,I NEVER had any overheating issues :):):)

'nuff said by me ;) laff

Last edited:

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I've ran mine out of gas twice. Ooops, so I would imagine 50-60 miles in one session. Then I learned to keep better track of the gas situation. Always carry tools, pliers, crescent wrench, screwdrivers and flat repair kit. Trust me you will need them.