What to do with my chrome tank?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by squirrel, May 5, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

i got a chrome tank with my engine kit, now that the build has evolved and the bike is red and black the tank looks out of place. can i do something to the chrome plating so that i can paint it?
    thanks in advance
    squirrel

2. Lowandslow

Lowandslow New Member

Not sure about painting over the chrome, but if you wanted to sell it to get something else, I'd buy it off you.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

You can sand the chrome and use a metal etching primer prior to the color coat. Start with something like 280 to 300 grit paper, preferably wet and work down to 400. Lay on a couple of coats of the etching primer, sanded between coats then go for the color. You want the chrome roughed up so it looks like the back side of aluminum foil. No shiny areas, anywhere. Any shine will be where the paint can start to peel and lift away.
    Be careful with any masking if you're doing multiple colors. When the color coat is dry spray on a couple of coats of a fuel (gasoline) resistant clear.
    Good luck.
    Tom

4. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

with chinese chrome like that, i think if you decide to keep it chrome, it should peel right off on it's own...:)

5. agk

agk New Member

I chuckled when I read this. My wife looked at me and asked what I was laughing about. She wouldn't get it. That was funny bairdco!

6. wayne z

wayne z New Member

I will trade you a brand new painted kit tank for the chrome one and I will pay all shipping.

E-mail me at [email protected] yer interested.

Wayne Z