What should I install next?

GoldenMotor.com

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
Just want to show you guys my bike and looking for some advice on what to install next, so far I’ve installed a kinbelle fat belly pipe and I cut the muffler off my original exhaust and fitted it to the end, I also enlarged the hole on the cap. I installed a high compression head as well and set the squish to 0.030” and I have a sbp air filter. I haven’t installed it yet but I also ordered a 36t sprocket, currently I have a 44t. Also wondering what you guys think of my spark plug colour, is it rich or lean? Im running whatever jet it came with and the needle is set at the highest position cause that seems to be where it runs best and 4 strokes the least. I use champion 306 spark plugs cause they never have the ngk ones in stock I believe the champion 306 is the same as ngk br6s though. My bike goes about 45-50 km/h but at 50 the motor is pretty revved up, I want it to be able to go 50 easily so I can keep up with traffic without reviving the motor out to much. Links below to all the parts I used.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Install a head light and tail/stop light on your M/B.
Just like a M/C or Moped your M/B should have lights.
Besides then you can have fun riding at night too.

Reactions: joss and Chris7420

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
The 36 tooth sprocket should give you more speed. You could put a reed valve on if you want more power or you could put a shift kit on it and take advantage of your gears. You could get a dual leg kick stand (center kickstand), you could get a dual brake lever, you could get a shock fork and update to disc brakes. A sprocket adapter would be a good upgrade too.

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
The 36 tooth sprocket should give you more speed. You could put a reed valve on if you want more power or you could put a shift kit on it and take advantage of your gears. You could get a dual leg kick stand (center kickstand), you could get a dual brake lever, you could get a shock fork and update to disc brakes. A sprocket adapter would be a good upgrade too.
Ive thought about installing a reed valve but I’ve read a lot of bad reviews on reed valves of people saying they installed one and it made they’re bike slower, I even saw a video of a guy who dyno’d an engine before and after installing a reed valve and it made like half as much power.

Last edited:

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah here’s the video I mentioned, there’s another one where they install the reed valve as well as window piston and it still makes less power then stock. Do you need to change something else to make it work? Or did they just have a no good reed valve?

Reactions: Tyler6357

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah here’s the video I mentioned, there’s another one where they install the reed valve as well as window piston and it still makes less power then stock. Do you need to change something else to make it work? Or did they just have a no good reed valve?
Wow, I don't know what to say about this. I didn't have any trouble with mine and it definitely gave me more power and higher top end. But I should say that mine is the 4 peddle type, also, I'm not using an NT carb, I'm running a VM18 Mikuni carburetor which I'm certain had an effect. Here is a pic
PIC_3399.JPG

Reactions: Testname111

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
This is the reed valve that I got:

They don't really show you the 4 peddles but they look just like this:

I also got a windowed piston similar to this:

I also got one of these larger intakes for it to fit my Mikuni vm18 carb.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I should also say that my engine is a PK80 with the short connecting rod and the low wrist pin type piston. That windowed piston might not work with your engine if you use a different type of piston.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Also, another good upgrade for that bike is some good road tires. It looks like you have pretty fat rims, you could probably get wider tires which means better traction and the ability to lean into turns more. It's worth it to spend extra cash on tires and get good ones. MBs can run through cheap tires fast, at least the rear one with the engine drive on it.

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
Also, another good upgrade for that bike is some good road tires. It looks like you have pretty fat rims, you could probably get wider tires which means better traction and the ability to lean into turns more. It's worth it to spend extra cash on tires and get good ones. MBs can run through cheap tires fast, at least the rear one with the engine drive on it.
Yeah I definitely want to get some better wheels/tires. I’ve bent 2 back rims hitting jumps and stuff already thankfully I have a bunch of extras

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
This is the reed valve that I got:

They don't really show you the 4 peddles but they look just like this:

I also got a windowed piston similar to this:

I also got one of these larger intakes for it to fit my Mikuni vm18 carb.

What do you think of this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/133650408857?hash=item1f1e2f6599:g:4H0AAOSwVSpdn8Ow
Also I’m worried it won’t clear the frame on my bike, what do you think? There’s photos of my bike in the first post on this thread

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
What do you think of this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/133650408857?hash=item1f1e2f6599:g:4H0AAOSwVSpdn8Ow
Also I’m worried it won’t clear the frame on my bike, what do you think? There’s photos of my bike in the first post on this thread
It will clear the frame fine because the reed valve intake is angled away from the frame so it will stick out of the side of the bike. I don't know much about the rest of it. It's great to port your cylinder, if it's done correctly, most of us do it ourselves with a Dremel tool. I can't say anything about that carb or how good it is because I've never tried those kind. Looks like they have pieced it together with a hose and clamps. Meh, overall I would say that it seems kinda expensive for what you get but everything seems more expensive these days.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah I definitely want to get some better wheels/tires. I’ve bent 2 back rims hitting jumps and stuff already thankfully I have a bunch of extras
I can't see exactly which wheels you got on there. Wider rims are best. If you are going to the trouble of changing the wheels, then you might as well go for a disc brake hub on the back, that way you can hook the rear sprocket into the disc brake hub and get rid of the stock rag joint set up that drives the spokes. I've got a 36 tooth sprocket on it. Pic #1

However, it might be difficult to find one like that with gears. Also, those that you have on right now don't look that bad at all. What size tires do you have on it right now? You can get a sprocket adapter for geared hubs like yours. I used to have gears on my bike and I was using a sprocket adapter. I think it's much better to drive the hub instead of the spokes. Pic #2
PIC_2911.JPG
PIC_2784.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SirLurksAlot

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you decide to get one, I recommend that you get one of these 3 bolt types. I got mine years ago before these were widely available. They will fit the 1.5 or 1 inch diameter hubs because they come with a shim that you can put in to work on the smaller hubs like the geared ones.

Chris7420

Jul 23, 2021
If you decide to get one, I recommend that you get one of these 3 bolt types. I got mine years ago before these were widely available. They will fit the 1.5 or 1 inch diameter hubs because they come with a shim that you can put in to work on the smaller hubs like the geared ones.

Thanks so much for all the info/advice. I’m thinking now I might just leave this bike as is and get a nicer bike and one of these kits and build it up. Have you seen these yet? I’ve read a lot of good review apparently they’re monsters - https://www.bicycle-engines.com/ztm...engine-kit-true-85cc-bike-motor-36t-sprocket/

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Oh and the wheels on my current bike are 26x1.95
Looking at the width of your rims, it looks like you could go up to 26x2.015 or maybe even 26x2.25 or possibly even 2.35's will fit, I really can't see it in the picture that well, but at least up to 26x2.00s. Just make sure you have chain clearance so the chain don't hit the tire. If you get the sprocket adapter it will move the rear sprocket away from the wheel a little more than the rag joint set up.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Wow, 52mm bore, that's got to be pretty fast. That's something new, don't know how good they are but it's got to have more torque than standard China girls. But to be honest, my bike goes fast enough, I can hit 50+ mph if I really wind it up, but really, I don't need to go that fast on a bicycle.