What is the best sprocket to get for speed?.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by athletichunta, Aug 22, 2010.

1. athletichunta

athletichunta New Member

I have a 44tooth sprocket, it works alright. How much faster would say a 32-34 tooth sprocket be?

2. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

Some say 36 and others say the sweet spot is with a 40. I think a lot of it depends on the size of the rider.

Personally I picked up 10mph by switching from the stock 44 to a 36 but I also added an expansion chamber as well.

3. athletichunta

athletichunta New Member

Is the difference big on 4 stoke bikes aswell or just on 2 strokes?

4. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I'd try to get the bike running before I wasted money on a sprocket.

5. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

with 2 strokes, the smallest sprocket that your engine can still pull is the fastest.

the only way to find out is to experiment.

6. Andyinchville1

Andyinchville1 Manufacturer/Dealer

HI,

Generally speaking you get about 1 MPH for every tooth you drop from the 44T (assuming a 26" wheel).....I think somebody calculated the exact number to be about .8 MPH but I typically round to 1 MPH for ease of calculating...

FWIW - I am running a 36T on my bike (has a tuned pipe and a Dax "80" and I wish I went smaller....I weigh about 155 and live in somewhat hilly VA)...If you are on the flats, want to cruise at fairly high speeds and don't weigh an excessive amount:confused: then you should be fine going small on the rear sprocket.

Andrew

7. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Good to have you back Andyinchville! I have had three of your sprockets love them all!

8. athletichunta

athletichunta New Member

Well my Bike has pretty bad acceleration and pickup to begin with, its a beach cruiser 26inch scwin with a 4 stroke motor. Will it even work with a 36t sprocket?.

9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

The smaller the sprocket, the slower the acceleration, the higher the top speed.
    It is up to you what you are willing to sacrifice.

10. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I'm in the 40T sprocket club.... I'm 210 lbs, & the 40T sprocket is a good compromise between more top speed & still being able to climb hills.

I've used 36Ts in the past with mixed results. Not every engine has the power needed to pull that high of a gear.
    Someone like Bairdco (who weighs 135 lbs) can run small sprockets like that without any problems; I can't.

11. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

yup. i'm running a 28t now. it's a little slower (very little) off the line, but i also have 24" wheels, so there's less rolling resistance and quicker acceleration compared to a 26".

i have a 26" bike with a 34t, and it takes off much slower, and takes awhile to get up to top speed.

there is a lot of other factors involved, though. the 26 is heavier, and it has a basically stock motor that hasn't had all the crazy work done to it like my 24. it's also a Grubee GT5 Skyhawk, while my 24 has a GT4 Starfire. personally, i think the GT4, which according to Grubee has slightly less horsepower than the GT5, is a stronger motor.

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

if you are using a 4cycle, I have read about people burning out/breaking their clutches when converting to too small a sprocket :(
    just trying to help ;)

13. athletichunta

athletichunta New Member

Thank you, and btw i'm buying a new engine here pretty soon. What would you recommend for 5mph faster?.

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

I only have experience with my EZ kit, so I am afraid I can't reccomend anything for you
    I can still hit 30mph (1.5X the legal speed limit here in AZ <20mph>) with a big 72tooth sprocket

what drive are you using???

I believe the grubees come stock with a 50, and the hoots come with a 56