what does it cost

GoldenMotor.com

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
normaly to get a wheel trued up at a bike shop. I just picked up this new Schwinn Jag and it looks like the rear wheel has a wobble in it. Front looks good I will be taking things apart and greasing for sure. never trued a wheel before though and would not know if I was getting shafted.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Every bike shop has there own price, and also it depends on how bad the wheel is. I have seen the cost from $10-$60 to true a wheel.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
too much.

wheel truing is relatively simple. like anything else, it takes some practice, but it's worth it in the end.

the only specialty tool you need is a spoke wrench, and that's like 5 bucks.

here's a site that explains it all: Building Bicycle Wheels by Sheldon Brown (the rest of this site explains just about everything else you'd want to know about bicycle maintenance.)

you could make a truing stand out of old bike parts, or just flip your bike over and spin the wheel.

i build and true all my own wheels, and all i use is a spoke wrench and an allen wrench held against the fork for a guide.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word here. Are you sure the wheel is the culprit? The Jaguar is a decent little bike, I have two of them but they don't come with the best quality tires. Both of my Jags have lumpy tires that could easily be mistaken for out of round rims. Spin your wheels and watch closely for rim verses tire uneveness.
That being said the advice given above is solid. A spoke wrench, some reading and some practice and you'll be amazed with what you can do yourself.
Tom

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Thanks for the information and yes 2door the tires are as you say lumpy and they make it hard to just see what is and what is not out of kilter. Bike shop her said he will take a look at it for me no charge unless it is real bad which I dont think it is. I swing some business his way if I can for the good dead.

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I had the same problem once. There are several sources on the internet that show you how to true a wheel. It can be frustrating but once you're finished it's quite rewarding.