What do you think about these as handlebar grips?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Frickard, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Frickard

Frickard New Member

I intend on getting the aluminum throttle assembly from SBP (Sick Bike Parts) and I'm having a hard time finding grips that come in a combination of 7/8" and 1" (one for the throttle assembly and one for the other side). So, I was thinking that using handlebar tape would solve some of the issue and also give the bike more of a distinct look:

MISTRAL

I can get this stuff on ebay for $16 shipped, brown color. I was originally thinking about getting leather wrap, but that stuff is ridiculously expensive. This stuff gives a leather look for a more affordable price. Just curious to know if anyone has experience with wrapping a throttle assembly. Oh, and general opinions of course :)

2. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

3. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

http://db.tt/zFy8XjY
    I just "whiped" my own and covered in plasti dip .
    I get throtle ass. From murrays $13

4. Frickard

Frickard New Member

Thanks :) I saw these too, but I don't like the way they look. I guess I left that bit out of the OP. I've found some sets (three or four), but none to my liking.

Props for originality on these (^) I think that's what I want to accomplish on my bike. . . something a little different.

5. Comrade Alfonzo

Comrade Alfonzo New Member

Get blue and white and wrap it in stripes, Shelby Racing Stripes, eh?

6. Frickard

Frickard New Member

I actually like this idea (^)

7. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

almost every motorcycle and dirt bike has 7/8 bars with a one onch throttle. you can get grips from Renthall, Moose, Tag, and a million other companies, in any color, and in different compounds, all for under 15 bucks.

8. Frickard

Frickard New Member

Sweet, thanks for the info Bairdco :) So, I'm looking at these now:

Pro Grip 842 Gel Duo Density Cruiser Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Generally speaking, if I buy the 7/8" size, one grip will come as 1" for the throttle side?

Cheers.

9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

So long as you buy 7/8 grips for a motorcycle (not Harley grips, they use 1" handlebars) and stay away from bicycle grips you will get the exact sized grips you need.

10. Frickard

Frickard New Member

Cool, thanks GearNut :)

11. sportscarpat

sportscarpat Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

I use Oury dirt bike grips. Get them on ebay. If you want leather wrap for that really old school look then use leather wrap for tennis rackets. Very resonably priced and lots of colors available.

12. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Many bicycle grips are soft enough that if you just heat one up, it will stretch over the throttle.

13. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

I really like Scott dirt bike grips for two reasons, 1 skinny grips with soft compound so the reduce forearm pump and 2, because they have my name on them! :D They come in several colors and are under $10.

I really like the compound of the oury's.....they're just to fat for my likeing....I like skinny grips.

#13 scotto-, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  14. Frickard

Frickard New Member

Sweet! Thanks Sportscarpat. . . definitely going with this option, it's settled. Genuine leather for a fraction of the price! Awesome. This should give the bike the look I'm going for.

15. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Comfortable grips are really important if you have arthritis or other hand issues. My difficulties are a combination of early stage arthritis and nerve damage from being struck by lightning sixteen years ago resulting in Guillane Barre Syndrome (like polio). I've tried a number of different grips and in the end my favorite is a set of foam grips which I then cover in hand stitched elk hide. Very comfortable for me even for long rides.
    SB

16. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Would love to see a pic of those grips silverbear, I bet they are a great piece of work, I really enjoy nice leather work, not any good at it myself but my brother has done some nice things, in my family we have always been very proud of our Native American Heritage, but almost all the culture was lost in the last couple of generations, Cherokee & Choctaw from both sides of my family but we are bleached with Irish & German also....pretty much Heinz 57...LOL!

I really like all of the Leather & Bead work though and wish I knew how to do it and had the time for it....!

Peace

17. Frickard

Frickard New Member

So, thanks to Pat's brilliant idea, I bought some tennis racket leather wraps. Here's a rough idea of what the finished product will look like:

[​IMG]

I still need to shorten the handlebar ends a bit as they are really long right now. Plus, some nicer end plugs and no overhang. This should work out great! Thanks Pat!

18. sportscarpat

sportscarpat Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

I actually had a guy send me some Brooks leather wrap for his boardie bars. Nice stuff so I figured I would buy some for myself. After the sticker shock of that idea wore off (expensive!) I thought about tennis racket wrap. Maybe I'll save the Brooks leather wrap cardboard box and fill it with the cheap stuff.......

19. dmb

dmb Active Member

i got those metalflake repop's and put it hot water pan on the stove heat'em up a little and work them on with some leather gloves, the heating seem's to rid the grip's of the china stinky rubber smell and they look good with the ape's