Very FIRST Build. Anything im missing? (PICS)

GoldenMotor.com

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Hello all, I'm Brad. I'm new to the site and to motorized bicycles.. I've grown up riding dirt bikes so I do know a thing or two about 2 and 4 stroke motors.. I wanted to go for a bmx style bike and found this on craigslist. Picked it up for $50.

66cc Motor kit, also bought off craigslist. $80 brand new in box (from demonbikes, any feed back on these kits?)

Oh and here's one of my other rides :)

But back to the bike..
I've been researching a lot so I can hopefully build it correctly. So far I've mounted the motor to see if it would fit the frame.. its a tight squeeze but ill be able to pull it off. The only real modification needed will be to reposition the carb to mount on the side. After mounting the engine I got carried away and ended up hooking up the throttle and cluth cables mounting the tank and just about everything else.

Here's a list of things I've picked up this week for the build:
-New rear wheel, (the bearings in mine were shot and I wanted to do away with the coaster brake)
-Brand new rear brake assembly
-kick stand
-High performance bearing grease
-chain lube
-thread sealer (for gas tank)
-gasket paper from autozone
-rubber o rings (for carb)
-90° copper fitting(to remount carb)
- solder wire (so there's no leaks)
-Red and blue loctite.
- Allen head scews for the sprocket cover (the ones on the kit stripped immediately)
- new ngk spark plug
Still need to buy 8 grade studs to replace the ones that came on the kit. (Ace hardware and autozone both didn't have any so hopefully home depot will.)
Anything I forgot? I'm aiming to build it right the first time so there will be less problems down the line.. also I was thinking of tossing the tensioner that it came with and cutting the chain to size.

If all goes well she should be fired up by Friday :) ill be updating how the build goes. More picutres to come!
Thanks

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hi new guy!

I kinda harp on this but a tap set is needed. The Chinese have a tendency to not tap the holes to the bottom. You also need a beam bar type of torque wrench for the head studs. I use a 3/8ths inch one. Don't trust Torque by ArmStrong. You can easily either pull the threads out of the block or snap the threads off in the block. Blue Locktite them in the block, some will JB Weld. I would JB Weld a stripped out stud hole if I had to but doing it from the start.... :p

Oh, yeah, Sick Bike Parts have replacement bolts and head studs. First mod I did to my bike :)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Throw the red Loctite in the trash. It has no business on a motorized bicycle. If you ever need to disassemble something the red will hold...the threads will not. This is especially true with steel fasteners in an aluminum case.
As DaveC suggested, buy a torque wrench and use it. Overtightening the fasteners is the single most common problem with first time builders. Use that torque wrench and avoid fastener/thread failure.
Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.
Tom

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and input... I didnt get much of a chance to work on the bike today, the only things i got done before work were switching the flywheel over to my new wheel, hooking up the new rear brake and installing the kick stand (which was too short anyways lol.) I have work off tomorrow and it should get a lot more accomplished

Heres what i got left to do tomorrow to get it running.
Replace the studs
Modify the tensioner and tighten chain
lube the chains
Finish soldering the 90 degree elbow to the intake.
Mount the carb
Cable adjustments
Clean and grease a few things.
Make new exhaust and intake gaskets
Clean out gas tank/apply thread sealer
Tighten all nuts, bolts and lines.
Gas it up and see if all goes well!.wee.

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
So I accomplished a lot of the things on my list today, put some gas in and got ready for the first ride... As soon as I got it rolling and dumped the clutch; the line snapped. Awesome.. So then I threw my new brake line on it and it actually pulled a lot easier. Then tried again for a bit and and wasn't getting any spark. Easy fix tho just wired the kill switch in wrong. So again I tried to get her running AND SHE WAS OFF! After a few carb adjustment it was running great. Cruised slow for a while and climbed 2 good sized hills. Then my cousin hoped on my moped and we went for a speed check on a nice strait by the house. Got it up to about 32 mps :) Called it a day after that. Here's a picture from today. More coming tomorrow and maybe a video..

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
Now that is a cool ride! Let us know if that Sting Ray feels erratic on the road at speed. I chose a Beach Cruiser for my first build. Pictures will follow.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Great looking bikem, I like the look of the bmx motored. You might want to move that tensioner to the bottom stay. Probabally take out a few links as well.

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
So I seized up my piston about a month ago and haven't touched the bike since. I know I would have been a cheap fix but.... I decided to go ahead and order a whole new kit instead. I ordered the 66cc grubee race kit. I've read a lot of bad things about the so called v2 racing carb that comes with it so my question is, should I bother trying to get it working with that carb or just use my previous one? It ran fine with my last setup and its still on the bike so it'd be a lot easier to just use the old one if it runs decent with the new grubee motor. Any ideas??

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Use the carb that came with your first kit. Do you know what caused your piston to seize up? Don't bother trying to rebuild, I have rebuilt two engines and both have failed. You don't have to buy a whole new kit, you can just buy a replacement engine. Search eBay for those, they are less expensive than anywhere else.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
If it works for you then use it. Some work and some don't. If you want to get back on the road with out messing with it to much then just throw on the other one and go.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Sorry to tell you this, but the mirror you bought is junk. The velcro will not hold up to vibrations from the engine. Get a solid mount (all metal) mirror. Probably find those cheap on ebay too. The engine might cause interference to the speedo, you will need a choke core if that happens. I had 3 of the wally world speedos, had trouble with all 3. Didn't know at the time that interference was the problem. I went with an analog speedo and it works great.

Bmoney

Apr 20, 2011
Sterling, Ma
Thanks for the quick responses guys..
eyeballing the gas/oil mixture is what caused the seizure of my first engine(lesson learned on that one lol).. I know I could have bought a replacment engine only for cheaper but I wanted to be safe and have the extra parts so I got a whole nother kit. Here's the exact one I bought..

Grubee Race 80/66cc Silver SkyHawk Angle Fire Bicycle Engine Kit

also your right about the mirror butterbean. I used it for a day and couldn't see anything out of it lol. Then my bike tipped over and it snapped anyways lmao. As far as the speedo goes. I did a speed check with my moped and its accurate within 3mph which is good enough for me..

I'm also going to go with my old carb and make it a lot easier on my self..

My new kit should be here next Tuesday so ill post pics when she's up and running again.

Thanks for the support everyone!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, that was the very first mirror I bought. it never worked good for me. My wallyworld speedo worked good at first too, but after awhile, it would reset itself every time I drove the bike. You can get a snap on choke core at radio shack for around 5 bucks. It snaps on to your spark plug wire and prevents it from throwing off interference. But its up to you. That was good thinking, buying another kit for spare parts.