very excited

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Indybiker, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Indybiker

Indybiker New Member

I discovered bike engins a few weeks ago. Got on several different web sites, and got to thinking that since I love to tinker and love unusual gadgets this might be for me. Now the only problem was convincing my wife. I devised myself a plan that made so much sense even to me that it was scary. I reasoned to my wife that seing as how I only live four miles from the factory that I could invest a little money and save alot over the course of the summer. Now my dodge 2500 4x4 gets about 11 miles to the gallon on a good day, that is when it is warmed up, four miles does not warm up a 5.9 gas engin. My motorized bicycle can get 100 to 150 miles per gallon. I will save at least $600 per year. I told her that I can pay for the engin kit and a used bike in less than a month. Needless to say I have a engin kit ordered and should be here any day now. I am VERY EXCITED about this project.

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Indybiker, glad you joined us.

In 2004 I started commuting on my MAB to work, it was not long before the saving of fuel cost paid for my bike and engine. I have been commuting to work ever since everyday rain or shine, freezing cold or brutally hot. And I love every minute of it.

.wee.

3. oylavabeer

oylavabeer New Member

warning motorising bicicles is addictive

4. kbot6789

kbot6789 New Member

i have an 03 dodge slt quad cab with the 5.7 in it i feel ya man i also have a 84 nissan 300zx with the v6 but then i built my bike and i use it more then anything as a comuter i use my truck for hualin my car for groceries and my bike for fishin trips and so on i average about 33 miles a day on my bike about half a tank if i did that in my truck or car its an arm or leg i got 300 miles on my bike and i paid $27 bucks for my bike from a pawn shop.. hagha and $119 for my engine kit i think its one of the best investments yet

5. bare bones

bare bones New Member

Welcome! You are going to love tinkering with these things :)

6. rkorson4209

rkorson4209 New Member

Rotflmao, i love the wifey stories, sound familiar. Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will be happy with your decision, but like before mentioned, watch out these are addictive, next thing ya know you will be trying to come up with a reason to tell the wifey why you need 2 or 3 of these,lol. Stick around here and read around and you will have no problems solving the minor issues. I reccomend reading, and re reading the pre motorized information.

7. Nougat

Nougat New Member

So you live four miles from work, and a warmed up engine gets 11 MPG. You're using roughly 0.75 gallons of gas a day to commute.

If gas is $2.75 (it's higher than that here, but I don't know exactly where you are), that's about $2.06 a day, or $10.31 a week.

A gallon of premix is going to cost $2.75 + oil, figure $1.50 for oil. So $4.25/gallon. Now, let's be a little realistic and say your MB will get 80MPG. (It also makes the math easier.) You'll be using 0.1 gallons of gas a day, which will cost you $0.43 each day, or $2.15 a week.

Let's add in the cost of the bike and some accessories, estimating about $250. We'll subtract the MB fuel cost from the truck fuel cost, getting $1.63 a day difference. Dividing $250 by $1.63 gives us ... 153.37.

So with these numbers, you will get to the break even point after you have commuted to work the 154th time. That's just shy of 31 weeks. That's also not counting the cost of a helmet and jacket - both of which should be on your shopping list.

Of course, a cheaper build brings that down, as does higher mileage. Another thing you can do to really tip the scales in your favor is to drop your truck insurance from full coverage to liability (if that's possible for you).

Sorry, I was compelled to do the math. But I promise not to tell your wife.

8. stevolandis

stevolandis New Member

Welcome! These things are fun... They seem to have less mileage than advertised- Oh well. An expansion pipe adds power and i heard it saves some gas, too.