v belt drive gearing

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by ragdolldude, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ragdolldude

ragdolldude Member

Just introduced myself the other day. I noted I was getting a v-plex clutch that is NOS. Idle, and the clutch doesn't operate. Increase rpm and two tapered sides of pulley pull together increasing diameter of pulley. Goes from around 1 1/8" up to about 2 1/4" diameter pulley. I don't want to use a jackshaft, and was wondering what size sheave to use on rear 26" tire. I plan on using a Honda Gx50 engine, likely on a cruiser frame, mid frame mount. I initially thought the 15 inch whizzer sheave would work, but others have suggested a 24 inch narrow bike rim as a sheave, bolted with brackets to rear wheel. I assume someone has already done this and was hoping to benefit from your experience, instead of tying different sheaves. Thanks

2. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Active Member

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28803&page=65

This thread of Harry76 has been around from the past. A lot of pages here too. There are many pictures that used some way of posting that don't show up anymore, but this page has a close up of what he made with a ? 24inch rim as a sheave.

3. Tony01

Tony01 Active Member

Use a 26" skinny rim for your sheave, but you'll have to widen the frame in the back... By cutting and welding. This will give a 13:1 ratio in top gear.

4. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Yes that might be better yet, and easier to mount straight tabs. And with the high rev Honda would give you a good top speed.................Curt