Upgrades for a Landmark?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by TehInteractive, May 1, 2010.

1. TehInteractive

TehInteractive New Member

I'm thinking about going with a Schwinn Landmark for my first build now actually, with a 70cc engine from thatsdax.

If I were to use this bike, what would I have to upgrade on it to make it make it more durable, or rather, safe? New tires, innertubes, or rims? A better chain that won't break? What parts have a tendency to fail on these types of bikes, anyway?

If you have any suggestions, post some links please.

2. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

The Schwinn Landmark looks like a good bike.
    I dont see anypart failing unless you have:

1.fenders: check and reinforce front fender mount.
    2.cruiser tires: they get flat easier than mountainbike tires.

The rest of the bike looks good.

3. JTinFL

JTinFL New Member

Landmark/48cc Skyhawk/Speed carb/SBP Shift Kit

Attached Files:

4. TehInteractive

TehInteractive New Member

Alright, I ordered my Landmark and my engine kit, along with a more comfortable seat from amazon.

The only thing I'm worried about now is those tires. Where can I get some good 26" mountain bike tires to replace the cruiser tires with?

5. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

6. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Landmark doesn't come with fenders - put fenders on it. I put some composite Planet Bike fenders on mine, and they're great.

You might want to put some better brake pads on it, too. The stock ones wear very quickly. I'm noticing that I have to readjust my brakes very often.

Changing the bars would be a good idea. While these bars are rideable, they force a pretty upright position. The headset on mine won't tighten enough to keep the bars from moving around over bumps, too, and I certainly can't put any weight on them.

Headlight, taillight; these should be obvious.

I haven't replaced the tires or tubes yet, but I have noticed that the tubes ooze pressure over a fairly short time, especially the back one. Make checking your tire pressure a habit. If you're going to replace the tires, don't put knobbies on. Put better street tires on. You shouldn't be offroading with this bike anyway, and knobbies will make for higher rolling resistance.

I wouldn't worry about the pedal chain; you're not going to be using it much anyway.