Up & Runnig Sort'of

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by bsmajor, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bsmajor

bsmajor New Member

Built a mb W/ my 14 y.o. son as his Christmas present. Have logged quite few hours in the garage fine tuning & tweeking the setup on his beach cruiser. We are having trouble keeping it running, a carby issue. The carb is flooding and fuel backing out thru the air filter. have dis & re assembled the carb. Tickler is NOT stuck (we don't use); float is free; air/fuel mix screew has been seated & backed out 3.5 turns; carb is nearly perfect level to ground. OF NOTE: fuel floods thru that air filter even when not running until shutoff valve turned.
    Need to gets the machine to go & keep it going for my young man.
    Any suggestions???

2. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Sounds like your float needle is not closing all the way. Either the float is leaking, gas inside it, and it's not rising high enough, or the float tang is out of whack, and doesn't close the needle into its seat even though it's rising to its maximum height. Or, the float needle is damaged in some way and simply won't seal into the seat.

Since gas comes out the air cleaner until you close the petcock, it's a problem with the float needle and seat allowing gas into the carb and overfilling the bowl.

3. bsmajor

bsmajor New Member

Thx, I am new to blogging so sorry for doing so x2. When I had the carb apart it didn't look like the float needle was easily accessed but has to be for a rebuild. Can I do anything to ensure free movement short of returning for replacement under warranty? BTW float did not have any fuel inside.

4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

With the float bowl off, and the fuel line hooked up, let fuel run through the needle valve and into a drain pan. Push up on the float tang, closing the needle into the seat. If the fuel flow stops, you need to adjust the float tang so that it closes the float needle when the float rises high enough. Check Norm's corner of this forum for more details and instructions - I haven't had one of these carbs apart myself, but they're super simple, and I'm familiar enough with simple carbs.

If you close the float tang and fuel continues to flow, even slowly, get with the vendor for a replacement needle and seat, if not a replacement carb entirely. A needle that allows fuel past it even when it's definitely closed needs replacing.