twisting chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I tried to put on the automatic chain tensioner from Livefastmotors on my bike.. my old GrantSport has too small of an upper bar to mount it, and due to frame design in the rear, the chain needs to have a tensioner to keep the chain out of the chain stay... so I pulled out the stock tensioner.. hooked it up. got it lifted off the chain stay ( note this puts the 2 sides of the chain within 2" of eachother due to frame design ).. gassed it up and pedaled and got just outside of my driveway when the chain ate the tensioner.. didn't pull it in the spokes or anything, but it bent the wheel on the pully, and pulled the chain on the outside of the sprocket between the chain stay and sprocket.. upon inspection, I noticed my chain stays go in twords the main frame at a decent angle, and thus the tensioner cought the chain and pulled it as it's crooked...

is it safe to heat the tensioner ( with wheel removed of course ) and twist it to correct the problem? I got the wheel from the spring tensioner, so I'm back in buisnuess if I figure out the tensioner

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Oh, here is the bike ( no other pics, and I have since completed it.. chain was shortened )..

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
cool, thanks.. wasn't sure if it could be cold bent or not. I'v got a vice and adjustables fron 6"-24".. so I got leverage enough too

hopefully I'll be riding it by tomorrow night..

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
well, I got the tensioner perfect, but the sprocket wasn't running true.. new 6x1.00 40mm bolts ( grade 10.8 ) and I can't get it running true and I'v tried 3 times, and once with the old bolts... wanted to see if I could fire it off anyway ( chain was riding the edge on 1 side but not coming off )... got it to fire but it sucked the tensioner thru 3 spokes... so monday it's off to the bike shop for a repair.. gonna leave the sprocket on to keep them wondering... they'll have to remove it to fix the spokes, so maby when they put it back on, it'll be straight

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Ok, think I'm gonna order 1.. at $40 per wheel rebuild at the local bike shop. that could get expensive if the tensioner eats anymore spokes..

I have an old Shimano 3spd hub ( bike is circa 1960's ).. I'll have to get the numbers off it.. I did find them but dealing with other things, didn't look close enough to get them..

how much do they actually cost? that ordering thing is sorta confusing.. I'd get it with a 50 tooth sprocket

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Ok, think I'm gonna order 1.. at $40 per wheel rebuild at the local bike shop. that could get expensive if the tensioner eats anymore spokes..

I have an old Shimano 3spd hub ( bike is circa 1960's ).. I'll have to get the numbers off it.. I did find them but dealing with other things, didn't look close enough to get them..

how much do they actually cost? that ordering thing is sorta confusing.. I'd get it with a 50 tooth sprocket
Matt,

Per the instructions on that page...If you need a custom adapter call me so that I can explain the procedure.

The hub adapter with a sprocket is $48.00 plus $11.00 shipping. The actual shipping cost is $4.95 priority flat rate. The balance is for materials to protect the product during shipping and Karen's time to make sure it happens. I don't want anyone to recieve cobbled-up parts.

Jim

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
thanks.. I'll take it to the bike shop on monday, but on the off chance I can get a used wheel from the shop cheaper than the repair, I'll have to wait a couple days, so I know what hub and measurements I'm going to need for the adaptor... if I had a lot of money, I'd get 1 of the alloy 3spd hubs with coaster brake but there too expensive when my hub is just fine.... possible lawn sales tomorrow for cheap bikes to use for parts...

2 freebies sat on the curb last weekend. they were ladies bikes and leftovers from a lawn sale.. shoulda picked them up.. 4 free 26" wheels, forks, brake parts.. but I didn't.. sure could use the rear wheels LOL