Trailer Tow Modification

GoldenMotor.com

ZekeNoScooter

Jun 18, 2019
That "5th wheel" setup makes the heavy load seem a lot lighter. Used to have a aluminum frame with wheel chair wheels, pulled 4 tube style TV's had to be over 100 lbs, about a mile and a half and this was B4 I got gas. All leg power. Turning with the hutch like that, you don't even feel it.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Nothing good about a 2 wheel trailer. If you're going to run a large setup just get a pedicab. Three 26" worksman rims can haul a ton for a short distance. For a motorbike I'd be down with a single wheel trailer for some better control and aerodynamics, and only one more brake to sort.

I was lucky to sell mine for good money right before burning man. It did make a good yard cart though.

Last edited:

ZekeNoScooter

Jun 18, 2019
Nothing good about a 2 wheel trailer. If you're going to run a large setup just get a pedicab. Three 26" worksman rims can haul a ton for a short distance. For a motorbike I'd be down with a single wheel trailer for some better control and aerodynamics, and only one more brake to sort.

I was lucky to sell mine for good money right before burning man. It did make a good yard cart though.
Thanks for the post Tony. I really hope you didn't mean a literal"ton". And what the heck is a pedicab??? I'll Google it in a minute
And as to rims, I've tried bike rims, 16s, 20s, 26s, I'm not familiar with workman rims. The rims that come on trailers are even worse. I swear by wheel chair wheel s. Spoked are strongest and I like the ones off of "Youth" sized chairs, they're about 5" smaller in diameter than the usual 26" for a lower center of gravity. If you think about what a wheelchair might have to put up with (250+ lb man) and the rolling resistance is almost nil. Sealed bearings and all that. My only complaint is tire wear, especially at speed. Not designed for 20 mph on hot black top.
Anyway, if you have one, post a pic of your pedi. Like to see it.
Cheers

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks for the post Tony. I really hope you didn't mean a literal"ton".
Ah yeah actually I did. 5 heavy people and all their luggage. Not me lol. Dude took them on a tour. Checked out bike after. But here’s my trailer I built and sold, I towed close to 200lb up to 45mph. A few trips, bought some tools built this to grab em. 2 wheel trailers can push uncomfortably sometimes. Box 4x1.5x1.5ft 32” overall width

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yea husky is the cheap version of worksman. Per dollar they are the strongest wheels you will find. I think I paid $14 per rim in 26”x50mm. IMO if you are pulling loads with a motor it’s better to max out the primary vehicle first. A good trike setup is far more stable and gives you the strongest brakes right under the load along with 2wd. Man I think I almost talked myself into building one right here :eek: