Tools- HF tubing roller- anyone used one?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by chainmaker, Sep 19, 2012.

1. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

2. JonnyR

JonnyR New Member

it seams like a good roller i cant see any problems with it since it will do up to 2" pipe it should do a bike frame

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

#3 2door, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

I have one and used it 2 times. Its some work to wheel the pipe back and forth but it turned out well. Make sure you have something solid to mount it to. This tool goes hand in hand with an engine stand...use it once or twice...and lend it to a friend till ya need it again...laff

5. sportscarpat

sportscarpat Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

I have the HF version and really don't recommend it. If you try to roll a tight radius the two ends start to twist away from each other. If you try to put a radius bend in a certain spot in the tube and leave straights on either end, you can end up with distortion between the straights and rolled area. Sometimes I get decent results, sometimes I don't. Tubing bends need to be flat and distortion free and that can be a challenge with the HF tubing roller. I have no experience with the Eastwood product but it's price may be an indication of a high quality tool.
    Pat

6. JonnyR

JonnyR New Member

its one of thouse things i have one at work like the harbor freight one its a great roller as long as you know what you are doing and have the die kit with the different sized rollers to match the pipe you are working or at least close to the size in it it is great but mine has a bottle jack in it instead of that crappy screw/bolt

7. RicksRides

RicksRides New Member

ChainMaker I have found the same issues using the HF tubing roller that Pat has mentioned to address thee issue of turn out I used my torchs and some pressure on the finished rolls and all ended well so my opinion on the roller is its a cheap tool, that will do most jobs on its own but tighter rolls will need the use of other tools, Rick

8. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

Thanks for the advice, what I need it for is to do a curved toptube and a bottom loop. We all know the quality issues with HF as opposed to the pricey stuff, and the end results. What Im looking for is, is it a piece of crap or will I be able to make it work for what I need.

9. JonnyR

JonnyR New Member

it will do what you need it for as long as you dont want to roll a 1.5+ inch tube into a perfect ring

10. RicksRides

RicksRides New Member

ChainMaker It will do what you are wanting it to do with out issue. Rick

11. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member