Tire wobbly

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Nougat, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I transplanted the cheap stock Walmart tire on to the new Husky 26x2.125 wheel. It rides, but I noticed that I get a lot of bounce out of the front wheel now. Closer inspection (spinning the wheel while the bike is stationary) shows that the tire has a big wobble in it. I can also see that the bead of the tire isn't seated exactly evenly around the rim. I know it's not an issue with the wheel, because I checked the wheel before I put the tire on. It spins very true, and all the spokes have the same tone when plucked.

Do I need to be more careful inflating the tire to make sure it sits right, or should I invest in a "real" tire? I should mention that the stock wheel is much narrower than this Husky wheel, too; I seem to recall noticing a minor wobble before, but it didn't cause any bounce. If I need to get a new tire, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. junked

junked New Member

Try deflating the tire, and re inflate just a little and squeeze the tire near the bead all the way around. This may allow it to seat correctly. I had a tire do that after I installed it, and I was able to get it seated right, after doing as mentioned above.

3. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

While junked is on the money - some cheapo tires jus' come out bad w/irregular molding, so after tryin' the above try a better set of tires if it doesn't work... and just about anything is better than stock wallyworld stuff lol, even the Bell tires they sell tend to be (a little) better than what comes "stock" on the bikes. As for "recommendations" - heh, tires are like sports, everyone likes different ones for different reasons ;)

4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I took a closer look, and found a spot where the bead was trying to sneak out of the rim. I did deflate it and squeeze it down. I'll see what happens when I pump it back up again.

I was thinking about getting one of those Bell tires from Walmart the other day, but it's all folded up in a box, and I can't see that being good for the shape of the tire.

5. taddthewadd

taddthewadd New Member

The reason those tires are folded in a box is because they have a Kevlar bead and are foldable. Cheap tires have a metal wire bead and can't be folded. The better tire is the Kevlar beaded one. I once spent over 100 dollars on a set of Kevlar tires for my road bike and they came in a package folded too.

Even though those tires at Walmart are Kevlar I don't know if they are any good or are "lumpy". I don't remember how much they cost buy I think less than $10? Anyways seem way too cheap to be much better than the stock tires.

Hopefully you already fixed your problem but if not I would recommend getting a descent tire at a bike shop since you have a nicer wheel now. Tires make a huge difference on the feel of your ride for sure!

6. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Yeah, I just tried to get the tire to seat properly, and it doesn't want to. At 20 psi, it's fine, but then at 40, there's a spot that's starting to work away from the rim. There is a bike shop I can go to, but I cringe at paying $40+ for a bicycle tire.

7. ThatPerson

ThatPerson New Member

You don't HAVE to pay $40 a tire to get good ones. I bought a pair of Kenda tires off Amazon for $25 shipped and were a world of difference compared to the stock tires. For my new bike, I did pay $36 a tire for it, but they are all creme tires and have a kevlar liner to help with flats.

8. Nougat

Nougat New Member

But I want to ride it NOWWWWWWWWWW! It's been down for about a month while I was trying to figure out the front vbrakes (one post welded crooked), and finally ordering a drum brake wheel. So I'm all impatient. I know that getting a tire from the retail bike shop will cost me $40; I'm just mulling whether my being able to ride sooner is worth the cost.

I think I'm going to see what Bell tires Walmart has, and get one of those. If it works, great, if not, I'll return it.

9. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Got a Bell tire, 26x2.25. It doesn't come away from the rim like the other one, but it still does a little.

However, I think I might know what the problem is. I think I might need a different tube. The original wheel is narrow, but had a 2.125 tire mounted on it. When I put this other tire on, I noticed that the partially inflated tube seemed a little big. This would make sense for a narrower rim - the tire being held close together at the rim would have the tube inside at a slightly larger diameter. On a wider wheel, with the tire beads further apart, the tube should have a smaller diameter.

I'll see what I can do about a tube, but I think I'm going to keep this Bell tire. It looks nice.

10. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

You made me lol o_O

:p

11. K-dregg

K-dregg New Member

Tube size dont matter that mutch, as long as you dont have to fold it to get it in there.. I have run all types of crazy matches.. 3inch gazzaloddi downhill tyres with skinny mtb tubes and the otherway around.. But if the tire comes of at the same place everytime in relation to the valve your tube isnt filling up right, if the tire pops of at different place its a tire, rim problem.

The initial idea behind kevlar beaded tires was cutting down on rotating weight, the foldability is just a perk.. I run a cheap cheng shin steelwire tyre at the back on my fixed bike and its been holding up for some massive skidstop abuse for three months, while the kevlar beaded front tyre seem to be addicetd to flats.. go figure. But there seem to be very litte correspondance between prize and quality when it comes to tires..

12. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I'm going to try and run the Bell tire as is today. It's not on perfectly, but it's close, and that might be fine. I haven't taken the time yet to figure out if the issue is always on the same place on the rim; that'll be next.

I might end up ordering a wire bead tire, just to see if that will stay on better. I have to say that the tires I'm putting on this rim seem to be very easy to put on, get the bead over the rim edge, you know? I almost wonder if the rim is actually less than 26".

13. K-dregg

K-dregg New Member

Well that would explain a lot, are there any stampings on the rim? youre local bikeshop could probably help you decipher it.. :)

I usally dont need any tire levers to put on a 26inch MTB type tire,they just slide over the edge of the rim with a little help. same goes for my fixed bike, those are a bit trickier, you need strong thumbs but it beats poking holes in the fresh tube with the lever..

14. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

Get some 26 x 1.75 tires- if you don't ride a lot off road- they are lighter and more narrow for less rolling resistence- you'll notice it peddling- and you'll go faster and farther on the same gas.

15. Stormsorter

Stormsorter New Member

Since you mentioned it's always in the same spot you probably just have a week spot in the tube. Doe's it bulge a little in this spot? The rim being smaller is possible. Just measure the old rim and new rim to find out.

16. Nougat

Nougat New Member

The rim is stamped "Made in Taiwan." So there's that. Anyway, the new Bell tire is on, and I rode it plenty today. No more bounce, so I'm gonna go with that.

I'm not sure a 1.75 tire would fit on this rim. The rim itself is actually 2.125 wide. A 1.75 tire would be narrower than the rim. Besides which, in order to get me into town, I have to ride a gravel shoulder on a pretty busy road. The wider the better there.

17. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Yeah I saw folding tires at Walfart yesterday...$12.99 I believe, but they were "carbon steel", not kevlar! They had one kevlar folder listed for $16, but that was out of stock. Not sure of the tread on the kevlar tire, but worth checking into at that price...